Photo

Looking for 5 wt 4 piece or 3 piece

15 replies to this topic

#1 BearsDenWoodshop

BearsDenWoodshop
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:02 AM

Hey guys, Im new to the board,. I am looking for a 5 weight 3 or 4 piece rod for June. Taking a trip and I need a packable rod. I am interested in possibly trading or bartering someone for one of my custom benches. If anyone is interested in building me a rod you might have a customer for life!!! Thanks.

#2 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:08 PM

don't have a rod I am willing to let go of, just wanted to say that I have been to your site.....great stuff! You do fine work! Stop in often, Keith! You may want to make the same post int the Trading Floor Forum...more likely to find someone willing to deal! wink.gif

#3 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:43 PM

I would Love to barter for a Custom bench but sadly I am swamped untill next year with Fly Rod orders.

OSD.

#4 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

Didnt steve send you one already?

John

#5 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:26 PM

i could build you a rod but not for a bench already have one of my one and i don't have the money to get the materials myself

#6 BearsDenWoodshop

BearsDenWoodshop
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:03 PM

Yea Ridder, Steve sent me one. I am also looking for a three or four piece rod. You can never hacve too many right? I would really need something smaller. I really appreciate what Steve did. I dont want to make it sound like I dont. Yet, I could really use something I can throw in a back pack. I will be heading to a camp with no car or anyway to transport stuff so the 3 or 4 piece is attractive to me.

Thansk -- Keith

#7 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:06 PM

Keith

didnt mean it to sound like you were ungrateful.

I thought the rod he sent you was a 4 piece, my fault.

John

#8 Dave

Dave
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:39 PM

BearsDen,

If you can't find someone to custom build you one, take a look at Cabela's 5 or 7 piece Stowaway brand rods. Very good rods for the money and reasonably priced.

Dave

#9 mikeyKC

mikeyKC
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:12 AM

I'm new here too. Youe might try Cabelas Stowaway 7. I was at the store tonight to see a friend who works ther and the rod is being discontinued and is being sold cheap. Ther is nothing wrong with the the rods except that they are receiving a lot of them for repair because cusomers ore breaking them when they put them together. These rods have what they call an inverted ferrule that makes them feel more like a one piece or two piece rod when casting. Cusomers are simply pushing the pieces together to hard and breaking them, so Cabelas has decided to discontinue them. hey are very nice, (I bought two of them tonight, don't tell my wife), very affordable. Supposedly they ranked very favorable to rods in the $500- $700 range in an article in American Angler magazine. I know that this wasn't a sales pith because the salesman was a very good friend of mine and he actually bought them for me with his employee discount. Under $80 each!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#10 Dave

Dave
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:13 AM

Mikey,
That's a hell of a buy. Are they dropping the 5 piece Stowaways too? I have a 7 piece as mentioned in the above post and really like it.

Dave

#11 BearsDenWoodshop

BearsDenWoodshop
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:29 AM

Wow Guys, thats really a good deal. I may do that. I have a bit of an ethics problem though. Being a small woodshop I like to try and put my cash into the smaller handmade shops. Not that I am rich or anything but I've always believed what comes around goes around. I buy all my meats from the local butcher instead of the Wallmart food store. I guess it's just one of those things.

Bears Den Woodshop

#12 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:22 PM

What type of blank and/or rod action are you looking for?

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#13 BearsDenWoodshop

BearsDenWoodshop
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:51 AM

Carl, I like Medium Fast action. 4 Pieces. Similar to Powell or Sage.

#14 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:12 PM

hey man i am all ready to build another rod if you want finished my last rod a few days ago and itching to start another

#15 dabalone

dabalone
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:47 PM

I have two Reddington wayfarer 5pc rods. 8 wt and 4 wt. Was the best bang for the buck on a quality pack type rod I could find, really like being able to take both rods with reels in one two foot long carrier and toss it behind the seat. The 8 wt has been thoroughly tested on king salmon, pushed to its limits and is impressive. Lifetime warranty also.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users