Photo

Alabacore

9 replies to this topic

#1 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

My son and I went on a trip out of Westport Monday.   We had 5 cancellations from the Charter before we could finally make it out.  We decided this year to take a 6 Pack Boat instead of one of the cattle boats.

Upside is you leave later in the AM and you get back faster at night and there are only 6 people fishing on the boat.

When we started back from the 50 mile marker it was a real joy to have the boat doing 27 knots and be back in just over an hour plus.  This spring we'll be going out for Halibut and Ling Cod.

3312026tuna-1.jpg

5583316tuna-2.jpg

First batch out of the smoker

1478967tuna-3.jpg

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

Sounds like a good time Ron. Is it just me or is that deck as slippery as it looks with the blood&water under your feet? :ph34r: 

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#3 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

Thanks, it was a good time ... No matter how much blood was on the deck it was never slippery
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Looks like you had a good time plus some fish for the freezer.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

Sweet.
How does that Albacore taste out of the smoker?

#6 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

John T ... Lots of fish for the freezer. Not sure how many pounds but it took both of us to put his large cooler in his Tacoma.

Spiel... After spending all day smoking those filets, handling them smelling like fish and then vacuum packing them I didn't try any.

That being said when one of those 40+ mph wind gusts happened and knocked a piece off the tongs the dog scarfed it right up so I have her approval

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

After looking at the pics again....now I see why it does 27 knots. Are those dual 225hp's on that sucker?

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#8 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

Spiel... After spending all day smoking those filets, handling them smelling like fish and then vacuum packing them I didn't try any.

Shame, I would have loved to try some.  ;)

#9 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

After looking at the pics again....now I see why it does 27 knots. Are those dual 225hp's on that sucker?

yep ... one of the 29' boats had dual 250's.    We lost one of the engines with real rough running.   When we met up with the owner a little while later he carries 5 extra coil packs.  Seems those Honda's are a little rough on them.

#10 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

Shame, I would have loved to try some.   ;)

I'm guessing I smoked 4 batches or about 25lbs.  Two were in Apple juice and two were in pineapple/teriyaki juice.  I have some packaged up and heading to the grandsons for breakfast.   The wife complained that I "stunk up her house" with fish   LOL

And I don't know how many pounds of filets are in the freezer (50?)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users