Cork Grip Clamp

20 replies to this topic

#1 Simplejack

Simplejack
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Fishing

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

Made this as a reference for anyone who is needing to build a cork grip clamp.

I was trying to upload the full size quality image, but the max upload size here is only 50KB..

Maybe this can be pinned so others can find it easily?

Attached Thumbnails

• Cord-Grip-ClampSmall.jpg

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

I made one similar to that several years ago.  I had lots of scrap wood and all the parts for it so the cost was negligible.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Just a single piece of althread, a couple of wing nuts and couple of fender washers works just as easy, and much simpler. Plus that one needs a center rod to keep them aligned and from slipping out of place

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#4 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

I use the same method that Goduster uses. 1/4 inch all thread with fender washers and 1/4 x 20 wing nuts.

The fender washers need to have an outside diameter about the size of the cork rings you are using.

The wing nuts make it easy...no wrenches or tools needed.

Once the glue is dry, remove the nuts and washers. The all thread rod usually comes out pretty easy.

If it does get stuck a little, I just chuck it up in a cordless drill and "unscrew" it out of the cork.

#5 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

The one I have used for years uses two pieces of all-thread in a way similar to Simplejack's.  Why two pieces?  I glue up my grips on the blank, so the blank is where the single piece of all-thread is on Ron's and BGreer's arrangement.

Tim

#6 PENZZZ

PENZZZ
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Try this link for a tutorial I put together awhile back.

Jeff

http://rodbuilding10...frey Shafer.pdf

#7 ACowley

ACowley
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:08 PM

I use a similar one to SimpleJack's as well. I've tried the single piece of all thread and seem to always get glue in the threads making it really hard to turn the wing nuts.

#8 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

Your supposed to wax the threads, I just use a plain old candle, and no issues removing it

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#9 Simplejack

Simplejack
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

My use for this setup will be the cork rings installed on a smooth 1/4" rod that I will also install on my drill lathe. When the glue has set, it will grip the rod for sanding, but break away when finished. 

Many ways to do this, but I made a clean build with good quality material that I will be able to pass on to many generations ;)

Also made it for someone who doesn't wanna think about what to get, they have a shopping list with easy instructions and it's only $12 bucks.

#10 Simplejack

Simplejack
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

Jeff

I like this one, but I would use a smooth rod instead of all thread. 

#11 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Same as Jim A. but I wrap the all-thread with teflon tape.  I'm too leery about using wax.  Murphy's Law, you know.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#12 PENZZZ

PENZZZ
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

Jeff

I like this one, but I would use a smooth rod instead of all thread.

I've never used all thread with this method, just my quarter inch turning mandrel. The smooth surface makes it easy to slide the mandrel out of the cork before the glue has dried. Once dry, the mandrel is reinserted, and the mandrel is mounted onto the lathe for shaping.

#13 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

I must be missing something here.

I have a 1/4 inch mandril and a 3/8 inch mandril that I rub with a candle then glue up my cork and clamp.  Then I  move it to the lathe for shaping and sanding.  The grip is easily removed from the mandril after everything is done.  

You guys seem to be doing to much work for a simple process.

#14 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

The reason I use the waxed all thread, is simply because there are times when I glue up 3 or 4 grips, and in the meantime I have inserts to turn, and cannot take the time to wait for the grips to dry and not be able to use my mandrel on the inserts. On any given day I may have to turn between 6 and 20 inserts, so downtime would be crucial

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#15 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

There's different ways to accomplish the same job. Personally I use the exact same style clamp jig like jack built but I just use a piece of old rod blank as a center rod on mine. Many ways to do things though no right nor wrong way. Unless your Ron, then you're always wrong :P

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users