Lathe Set Up

37 replies to this topic

#31 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Jerry, 

Is the blank going through the headstock and lathe?

Do you take any precautions or have any support on the other end?

If you are running it as I think you are, what is you chuck grabbing on to?

I've been turning on my Shopsmith for the past 15 rods or so, but I need to make a few supports for the end of the blank.  I use a dowel in the but section of the blank and chuck that in a Jacobs chuck.  It's worked well for me.

#32 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

Is the blank going through the headstock and lathe?

Yes. The blank goes through the headstock.

Do you take any precautions or have any support on the other end?

Yes I do. My support is a simple 2x2 with a 3/4 inch hole in it at the same height above the floor as the hole in the head stock of the lathe. Has worked well for several years. Masking tape protects the blank. Keep it simple.

If you are running it as I think you are, what is you chuck grabbing on to?

This is a bamboo rod that has a layer of masking tape under the chuck.

I've been turning on my Shopsmith

I don't remember if my old Shopsmith had a hole through it or not. I don't think it did. You might have to do things a little different than I do.

The following assumes a hole through the head stock. 

If you are making graphite/glass rods I suggest you turn a short dowel and glue it into the butt of the rod. Then, chuck up the rod and center drill the dowel to accept the point of a live center. When I do graphite/glass. and I don't do them very often, I use a 5C collet chuck and a collet to grip the rod blank that has a layer or two of masking tape to protect the blank. The collet grips around 360 degrees instead of just three points for the regular chuck.

Jerry

#33 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

Good information Jerry, as always.  Like you I don't do too many graphite rods but always do them exactly as you describe, with 5c collets.  One thing I might add is that you need to be careful how tightly you grip a graphite blank.  I crushed one while closing a collet once.

Harry

Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#34 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

After many years doing woodturning of various types, and before that doing much rod building on my Clemens Rod Lathe, I would certainly NOT recommend any turning of any parts on your little lathe as it sits.  You will ruin some blanks!  You will need to spend several hundred more $$$ for extensions and rod supports, etc.

#35 Smallmouth Bass

Smallmouth Bass
  • Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

Excuse me please but I have to ask a question, How would you turn a Handle if not on the blank? Thank you very much for your patience

#36 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:26 PM

You glue it up on mandril then chuck the mandril in the lathe and use sandpaper or a file to shape it.  once its done you remove it from the mandril ( I hope you remembered to wax the mandril prior to gluing).  Then you use your tapered reamer(s) to fit it to the blank.

That's it in a nutshell.

#37 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

I glue all mine up on allthread, then transfer to a mandrel on the lathe to turn

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#38 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

I glue mine on all-thread wrapped with Teflon plumber's tape.  I have a DIY press to slightly compress the rings.  Transfer to a mandrel and turn away!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users