Photo

A great little rod wrapping jig

23 replies to this topic

#16 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

Eight inches between uprights is probably good, but you may need an outrigger to hold the long end of the section you are working on, especially as you get near the tip. This could be another V block, or just a box or some other support.

My winding jig is 24" long, or about 61 CM, with movable uprights. The V notches can be used unlined, but after a couple of rods, I glued strips of felt in mine. The loop side of Velcro ™ will also work, and is quite inexpensive, at least here in the US.

#17 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Welcome. I put a couple of screws in my uprights and loop a rubber band over the rod to keep it from unwinding. Works good for me. Seems easier than velcro but I have not tried velcro, so what do I know. If you are like most of us you will change and modify your stands as you go to make it work better for you. Heck, I'm on my third improved version.

Mike

#18 wsender

wsender
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (rovercat @ May 14 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beter late than never
These are available in different sizes. add a little felt and screw holes and you are in business.
Brian

Hey rover,

What are these, and where can I find them?

#19 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

I believe those are made to hold re-bar in position off the dirt. Looks like they would work

Mike

#20 Vinnie Hirt

Vinnie Hirt
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

I made one in an afternoon. Could have done it faster but I only had one wood clamp that was big enough. I think it turned out quite well. It cost me about $5; $4.50 for 6' of premium grade wood, $0.50 for 2 mouse traps (only used 1), and $0.29 for a piece of felt. I had 2 screws and wood glue. I plan to turn the stand on the left into a powered dryer as soon as I find a suitable motor. I bought an electric can opener from a thrift shop but found out the hard way that it isn't very suitable.

IMG_6170b.JPG

#21 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

Nice job, should get it done.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#22 durgaprasadzone

durgaprasadzone
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for info...

#23 nuttyprot

nuttyprot
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:19 AM

I made one in an afternoon. Could have done it faster but I only had one wood clamp that was big enough. I think it turned out quite well. It cost me about $5; $4.50 for 6' of premium grade wood, $0.50 for 2 mouse traps (only used 1), and $0.29 for a piece of felt. I had 2 screws and wood glue. I plan to turn the stand on the left into a powered dryer as soon as I find a suitable motor. I bought an electric can opener from a thrift shop but found out the hard way that it isn't very suitable.

Try a microwave motor or even better a disco ball motor

#24 rstaight

rstaight
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

I see it's been awhile since someone has posted here. About a drying motor, I have a battery operated fly drier that I got from Orvis. A roll of masking tape does well for a chuck. Works great.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users