Photo

Refinish a old rod

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jnurnberg

Jnurnberg
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

I am new to the hobby and looking to make a few old rods new again. I have heard that you can use 0000 steel wool to get the old finish off of the rod but what do you but back on the rods to make them shine and finish again. Any help would be good

#2 switch10

switch10
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

I've never needed to use steel wool.  The following method wont touch the finish on the blank, and after you strip off components, you should be left with a shiney "new" blank to rebuild on.

Get a heat gun.  Hit the finish (thread finish/epoxy that is) with a heat gun for a few seconds.  Use your fingernail or a burnishing tool to scrape off the old finish.  Then just unwrap the thread wraps.  Strip all of your guides off this way.  Clean up can be done by hitting the leftover residue with the heat gun again, then rub it off with a clean rag with some denatured alchohol.  Shave the grrip off with a knife, and clean up with sandpaper.  Some reel seats are better to just cut off with a dremel tool, but you can try your luck at removing it with a pot of boiling water, and your reel seat inside of a bag.  The heat should eventually release the epoxy.

It does take a little bit of work, but it's well worth it in the end.  

Good luck

#3 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

I am new to the hobby and looking to make a few old rods new again. I have heard that you can use 0000 steel wool to get the old finish off of the rod but what do you but back on the rods to make them shine and finish again. Any help would be good

If you are talking about removing the finish from the wraps on relatively recent rods, switch10's comments are good.  On older rods, where varnish is used on the whole rod, you can remove the outer coating of varnish with something like citri-strip and a scotchbrite pad.  if you are just trying to scuff it up to get down past the surface grime, the steel wool might work well. 

To get the shine back on, I would apply spar varnish with a lint free cloth (coffee filter).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users