Photo

Newest bamboo build

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Bamboo Fly Rod Making, Fly Rod Building, Fly Tying, Mountain Biking, Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Weight Lifting, Woodworking

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

This is the third bamboo rod I've made.  (The first was under the expert guidance of Chris Bogart five years ago.  The second had so many problems I don't care to share it here.)

It's a Tom Smithwick (thank you sir) Small Stream, 5.5' for 5 wt.  Matt Draft reel seat, buckeye burl insert from a blank given to me by my good friend Ron Hossack, Joe Arguello agate stripper.

Pictured with the case I made for it.  Also pictured is a case from the same board that I made for a friend.

DSC_0241.JPG
DSC_0243.JPG
DSC_0244.JPG
DSC_0246.JPG
DSC_0247.JPG
DSC_0248.JPG

#2 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Nice! ... I like that and that piece of BEB does look nice on that.  have you baptized it yet?

Since you're more in the building mode than me I need to send you a set of some reel seat inserts I had made.  They're different than what you see floating around right now.  I haven't set foot in the garage since last week as the air quality is 'Hazardous' with smoke.  

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Nice work on the rod and cases Chris. That is one BIG case!

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#4 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

Nice work on the rod and cases Chris. That is one BIG case!

No Steve . . .  this is the ONE BIG case he's done   

6500258chcase.jpg

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

LOL that's right I forgot about that monster!

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#6 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Bamboo Fly Rod Making, Fly Rod Building, Fly Tying, Mountain Biking, Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Weight Lifting, Woodworking

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

Nice! ... I like that and that piece of BEB does look nice on that.  have you baptized it yet?

Since you're more in the building mode than me I need to send you a set of some reel seat inserts I had made.  They're different than what you see floating around right now.  I haven't set foot in the garage since last week as the air quality is 'Hazardous' with smoke.

Haven't fished it yet. A friend here, Scott Bearden, wonders when you'll have another group buy on special reel seat blanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users