Is this repairable ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BAM67

BAM67
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

Attached File  Cortland Saltwater scout1b.jpg   32.39KB   1 downloadsThe break is in the top section 5-1/2" from the bottom, as can be seen in the pic it's right under the first guide . The male part of the ferrule sticks into the top about 2". Can this break be repaired. I use this rod the most and it's used for chasing smallmouth and carp. I love the fact it has a lot of backbone and is very easy to cast. Cortland Saltwater Scout, 2 piece 9' 8wt.  

Brian Myers

#2 MikeK

MikeK
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

For that type of break I've used a combination of inner sleeve and oversleeve both being fiberglass and as thin wall as possible.  The oversleeve with a thread wrap makes the rod noticeably thicker and I don't know how casting will be changed putting a snake guide on top of that.

#3 BAM67

BAM67
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:05 AM

Thanks , I have another rod (spinning rod) that was in the same auto accident this fly rod was in. On the spinning rod the butt portion of the handle was snapped off at the bottom of the reel seat (reel seat is intact). Do you think it would be better to use an inner sleeve to reconnect the lower handle or use a long sleeve and build a new lower portion of the handle ? 

Brian Myers

#4 MikeK

MikeK
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

If the rod is light or medium light and the butt grip is not overly long I'd consider the inner sleeve.

#5 BAM67

BAM67
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

Thanks Mike

Brian Myers

#6 MikeK

MikeK
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:22 PM

Tip section repair of 4-piece 6wt MHX Native using inner sleeve and over sleeve of fiberglass then covered with thread and finish.  Bulge might cause problems with snake guides.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users