Photo

2/2 Payne 100

7 replies to this topic

#1 j_palmborg

j_palmborg
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

This is the latest rod to come off my bench. It's another Payne 100 in a 2/2 configuration that I built as a gift for my trusty fishing buddy Seth. I'm really looking forward to handing this rod over to him and be there as he fishes it for the first time. Hopefully I'll have a bamboo buddy after that.

Thanks for looking,
Jacob

#2 Rod O Rama

Rod O Rama
  • Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

Very, very nice color combo with the seat, wraps and blank. Ties everything together perfectly thumbsup.gif He should be doing back flips when he gets that rod.
http://www.renaissanceflyrods.com/
If I ever build the perfect rod, I'll retire.

#3 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Jacob,

That is very nice. I imagine your fishing buddy will be pretty pleased. shocking.gif

Brian

#4 jfischer

jfischer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hi Jacob, thats a masterpiece in design and craft clapping.gif -- very nice and in combination with that classical taper your friend will be a lucky fisherman.
Petri Heil
Visit My Website

#5 8weight

8weight
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Great looking rod. Very well done. Like the wraps at the winding check.

#6 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Jacob, congratulations for the fine work! Your rod looks nicer than the original Payne!! What did you use to blue the ferrules? I really like this grey/black colour..

r wink.gif

#7 j_palmborg

j_palmborg
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Guys, thank you!! You sure know how to make a fella happy. smile.gif I will go up to the Catskills on Sunday to deliver the rod and will hopefully have time to swing some cane before heading back to the city.

Stefano, the ferrules are blued with OXPHO Gun Blue made by Brownells. It's very easy to work with although not super durable unless you clear coat. I leave it as is and like how it wears over time and create a more 'vintage" look. It's easy to just re-apply if you wish too.

Cheers,
J

#8 silvertip8k

silvertip8k
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

super clean rod for sure...and that lettering is awesome!
ted...artist/trout bum,
wandering monk...

http://wmflyrodco.com/

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users