Photo

Bubble-Less Epoxy

19 replies to this topic

#16 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

I feel like every time theres at least a couple of spots where there's an air bubble and it pains me to look at it.

any tips would be appreciated.

Don't look at it so closely. :)

I have been building rods for well over 10 years and epoxy is still a pain.  If you figure it out, stay with what works.

Air bubbles:

• conventional wisdom is don't get them in the epoxy in the first place.  Stir slowly but thoroughly and take your time.  Some people us an epoxy mixer which rotates the cup and you put a ball bearing in the cup to promote the mixing.
  • Heat the epoxy before measuring it.  This will keep the epoxy more fluid and the bubbles will escape more.
  • Pour the mixture out onto a flat surface before using (aluminum foil)  to let the bubbles pop.
  • If the epoxy is getting thick, stop and mix up a new batch
  • Put it on thin and use multiple coats.
  • Do as I say, not as I do.  

I have had some good finishes come out, but it really is attention to detail and patience.  Covering signature areas really does me in. 

Good luck and let us know what works for you.

• conventional wisdom is don't get them in the epoxy in the first place.  Stir slowly but thoroughly and take your time.  Some people us an epoxy mixer which rotates the cup and you put a ball bearing in the cup to promote the mixing. "Nope, I stir vigorously for like 45 seconds. Full of air bubbles in the cup, not on the finished rod"
  •  
  • Heat the epoxy before measuring it.  This will keep the epoxy more fluid and the bubbles will escape more. "YES"
  •  
  • Pour the mixture out onto a flat surface before using (aluminum foil)  to let the bubbles pop. "Never have, ever in 40 years"
  •  
  • If the epoxy is getting thick, stop and mix up a new batch "Nope, just rewarm it"
  •  
  • Put it on thin and use multiple coats. "Nope, one coat of Hi build for me 90% of the time."

• Do as I say, not as I do.  "Yep!"  ;)

#17 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Spiel,

What type of mixing cup are you using and what epoxy are you using?  Are you thinning it at all?

I am wondering about how you warm it up and the effect that has on curing.    

I also like the look of as little finish as possible to protect the wraps, so I've avoided high build recently.

#18 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Bumping and Humping.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:35 AM

Mix slow and then heat and take a straw and blow on the epoxy to break up the bubble’s.

Have a blast

Glenn McMurrian

#19 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Lots of good suggestions and recipes here.  I'm personally going to try Billy V.'s method on the next one where I actually use epoxy for the wraps.

You whip the epoxy up in a lather with bubbles and all, then apply it.

Just look at some of his wraps and the finish he gets, some of the best I've seen.

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#20 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

Spiel,

What type of mixing cup are you using and what epoxy are you using?  Are you thinning it at all?

I am wondering about how you warm it up and the effect that has on curing.    

I also like the look of as little finish as possible to protect the wraps, so I've avoided high build recently.

I'm using those little plastic cups you get at fast food joints that are meant for ketchup.

I warm and rewarm using using hot water, don't get it in the epoxy.  ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users