Photo

Dots on wraps

7 replies to this topic

#1 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

This might be a dumb question, but I have a blank that has the white dots on them already on the blank, but only on the male end. I've never put the white dots on a build that I have done before or know where to get them. I'm tempted to try and get the dots off and not worry about them, but if I can't get them off wondering how to put them on my wraps when I do them. Thanks for the help!

#2 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

it is up to you it is your rod , some do it an some don't,    I take them off,   DNA will do it if you want to take them off   

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Custom building is making your rod unique in its own way or how the customer wants it. 

The only dumb question is the one not asked- Dad

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

So if I keep them on there, then I put a wrap on the female end, do I put the dot on the thread then epoxy over it? And where can I purchase said dots if I do use them? Thanks again!!!

#5 ANR

ANR
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

A simple way is epoxy on the wrap (light coat).
When dry put a dot with a white fine paint marker.
When dry put you final coat of epoxy over.

#6 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hey jFred,

Is this a multi-piece rod blank?    Possible made by SAGE?  You say the dot is on the male end of the sections, or sections?

If the rod is a multi-piece that was finished and ready to go, the dots would be on BOTH of the pieces and would be "alignment dots" to aid in the assembly of the rod w/o looking down the guide line multiple times.

If the rod is not finished, and only has the dots on the male ends that won't be covered up by the female end, it could be the manufacturer's way of telling the builder that when all of the dots on each piece are all aligned in a row with the rod assembled, then that is the axis of the blank that is "visually the straightest" and the guides are to be put on that axis.  This method does not take in to account the spine of the blank.

That is the way I assemble all of my fly rods as it does not seem to matter about the spine. Others will differ with that and they have that right. SAGE must know something!

Hope this tidbit helps.   Charlie

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

#7 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hey jFred,

Is this a multi-piece rod blank?    Possible made by SAGE?  You say the dot is on the male end of the sections, or sections?

If the rod is a multi-piece that was finished and ready to go, the dots would be on BOTH of the pieces and would be "alignment dots" to aid in the assembly of the rod w/o looking down the guide line multiple times.

If the rod is not finished, and only has the dots on the male ends that won't be covered up by the female end, it could be the manufacturer's way of telling the builder that when all of the dots on each piece are all aligned in a row with the rod assembled, then that is the axis of the blank that is "visually the straightest" and the guides are to be put on that axis.  This method does not take in to account the spine of the blank.

That is the way I assemble all of my fly rods as it does not seem to matter about the spine. Others will differ with that and they have that right. SAGE must know something!

Hope this tidbit helps.   Charlie

Thanks Charlie - This is a 4 piece blank, so there are dots on 3 of the male ends. It's not a sage, got the blank straight from one of the plants overseas. This is my first build for someone other than a friend, and never putting dots on any of my other ones I'm hesitant to do it for this one. I guess I will use the dots to line everything up and see if things are straight. Then like someone else said I'll use some dna to take off the dots maybe.

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

It's quite common on some blanks that come from overseas to only have dots on the male ends. Johnny's from Anglers Roost are that way. Most of the ones that are like that are unpainted on the last 1/4" of the female ferule so not sure if they just don't dot the female because it's unpainted or what. Normally I just remove the dot and build on the straightest axis anyway. Usually it doesn't take more than a little rub with your thumbnail to remove cleanly.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users