Photo

Fish eyes..

12 replies to this topic

#1 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

So, this is probably my 5th time putting epoxy on this one section of the rod. I was having issues with fuzzies and fisheyes, I had to sand it down, had a fisheye or two and a bunch of fuzzies after that, so i took a razor to the high spots and I put on what I hoped would be my last coat after hitting it with some denatured alcohol on a brush and letting it dry but there are fisheyes everywhere, probably in the neighborhood of 10..

I'm using Diamond II as epoxy and I'm running out of ideas.

#2 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

9gcxox.jpg

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Happens to the best of us at times. Usually it is a bad spool of thread that somehow gets contaminated. I had a spool of black thread that was brand new that I can't even use because for some reason it fish eyes like crazy. All you can do is to try to sand it and clean it as much as you can and put another layer on finish on top. Then just babysit it and exhale onto the finish as the bubbles show up.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#4 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

I sat on it for a while and I didn't see them forming, I went to bed, woke up and that's what I saw.. This is becoming frustrating..

If I try to finish over these eyes, they will just appear in the same place?

I was having trouble cleaning up the rod after I sanded the epoxy down.. I'm not sure if it was pieces of epoxy, dust or pieces of the paper towel I tried to clean the rod off with.. Is there any way to completely decontaminate and remove all foreign crap from the rod after sanding?

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

Use lint free coffee filters instead of paper towels.  I buy a stack of them at the $$ Tree or anywhere I happen to be. I also buy denatured alcohol and acetone in gallon cans- way cheaper per ounce than buying a quart at a time.  BTW, what grit sandpaper did you use?  A coarse grit might chew up the epoxy.  I use 220 or 400 grit for cleaning up epoxy.  Nothing more frustrating than finding your finish has gone in a direction that you didn't want.  Let us know how things turn out.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#6 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

I believe that I used 220 400 and 600 before trying to clean it up..

I'll have to get some coffee filters and try that out.

Hopefully I'll have some good news to report back.

#7 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:43 AM

I think Steeldrifter probably has it with the bad spool of thread. That sometimes happens.

The coffee filter idea is a good one. I am quite leery of paper towels. I use lint free shop towels made for a clean environment.

Some (maybe most) commercial paper towels have some sort of starch or sizing in them. That's enough for me to steer clear of them.

Refund, keep at it, you'll get it whipped. That wrap looks great.

Brian

#8 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

The proper procedure is clean, sand, than dust off. Than apply finish, if you do the cleaning last you just spread everything around, alcohol is a solvent, not a cleaner. It can just smear things around on a larger area. I'd cut my loses and start over.

#9 coyodel

coyodel
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:59 PM

Does it look like the fidh eyes are right over the same color of thread?  That might be the final nail for it being contaminated thread.

The only time I had an issue with them I pretty much knew what caused the contamination and I just used a tiny bit of my usual 1500 grit on the fish eye and the exposed lower surface in the fish eye which seemed to take care of the problem.  

Nice thread work.

Half this game is 90% mental.

#10 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

Thank you guys..

After I sand the epoxy down, what would be the best way to clean it off before trying to finish, hitting it with air in a can as I turn it on the wrapper?

#11 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

Refund,

If it were me, I'd start out my cleaning the wrap with alcohol and lint free wipes. Repeat this a few times with a new piece of towel each time.

Don't be frugal with the alcohol or the wipes.

Then do your sanding. Then I'd clean it a couple more times in the same manner as before.

Fortunately, I have access to a big drum of pure alcohol at work.

Brian

#12 StrykerDM

StrykerDM
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

This is helpful for me too as I'm getting some fisheyes. Some of these even look bigger than fisheyes and I'm thinking I'm applying the epoxy incorrectly. Going to get coffee filters and sand them down and try again.

#13 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:34 PM

Hey Refund . . .That's a great looking finish and it's a shame the "Boo-Boos" happened. Wait till you find a knat going round, round and round the next day...but that's an easy one and so is this solution to try.

Make you a few sanding boards from either 400 or 1500 grit paper used by car painters. Make them about 1/4" wide by about 5" long because you are not going to sand a large area- just the spots that look like the ones you have shone us. . .!!

When I find one of these "eyes" or a dust spec I lightly sand the area of the blemish and then get a piece of high quality masking tape and clean up the area and apply the finish. DONE!

Stay away from putting Denatured Alcohol, Acetone and anything that isn't epoxy thread finish on a rod where epoxy finishes are going - even your fingerprints after the guides are installed.  I use Isopropyl alcohol to clean any areas where I have touched while building and then I don't touch them any more.  I also clean my hands before any rod wrapping or finishing with homemade soap that has minimal additives to get all of the oils off of my hands. The few minutes getting ready will save hours in the shop.

Hope this helps as these things can drive you up the shop walls. Best to prevent them than to deal with them!

Thanks

Charlie

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users