#1 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pen making and of course fly fishing

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Hi everyone. Need a favour please.,

I had an intereresting thought. Dont have many of these!!

If the weight of Flex Coat part a and part b per unit could be established then it would be possible to weigh out an application extremely accurate on some small digital scales!!!

Hence no need for syringes ever!
I have the FC but no syringes and dont fancy paying £5-6 per syringe.

Please would any body weigh out say 3ml of each and weigh them both and let everyone know the weight?

Thanks very very much

Chris from Yorkshire U.K.

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:52 AM

Weighing would take a lot of time, IMHO.  I started building about 8 years ago and have used syringes from the beginning.  You can get them at our various sponsors or a local farm supply store.  Just make sure you rinse them thoroughly with DNA before you use them.  They last a long time- I'm only on my third or fourth set in 8 years.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hi John.  well 3rd or 4th set in  8 years, mmmm, I suppose even I could stretch to that.  Thanks for that mate.

The question still remains....

#4 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Don't over think this. Get a measuring spoon. Now, this is important, pour one measure of epoxy and put it into the mixing cup. Let all of the epoxy that will drain off of the spoon drain off. Now, using the same spoon, pour one measure of the hardener. If you use a thinner measure that into the same spoon. This has worked well for me for the last 25 years without any problems.

Always, epoxy first and then the hardener.

Jerry

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hi John.  well 3rd or 4th set in  8 years, mmmm, I suppose even I could stretch to that.  Thanks for that mate.

The question still remains....

Thats probably about right for John, 4 sets, 4 rods in 8 years

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#6 Jay McKnight

Jay McKnight
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

I don't use the fexcoat brand, but I mix Threadmaster lite and Pro-Kote medium by weight. The ratio I use is 46 grains hardener to 54 grains resin.

With that being said, I'm not saying everyone should pitch their syringes and run right out and buy a scale. I can however say that it works well for me.

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

I find it quicker to use the syringes- push the plunger down, insert in the cap and draw out what you need.  Put the two parts in a plastic cup and mix.  Don't have to wait for the spoon to drain.

Ron, I have #5 on the bench now.  Does that count?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#8 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

Thanks everyone.

Appreciated

#9 toothybugs

toothybugs
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

The specific gravities of the two components are likely in the range of 1.1 - 1.2 g/mL, but any discernible difference between the two parts isn't going to be easily found without analytical-lab-quality equipment and the experience to use it.  There's enough going on at that level that hobbyists like us are not going to be able to notice anything amiss in the formulation or the end result.  Sure, if there's some grave measuring error we'll see it but otherwise no.  

Stick with measuring mL's with the syringes :) 

This is where our ways part, because from now on, you are in charge. Maybe you think history is boring, like I did when I was a kid. But that doesn't excuse you from your obligation to create it. Every time you wade into a river and cast a line, you are standing in the flow of history. Don't let it wash past without remembering those who went before you. Their struggles, their discoveries, their good days, bad days, triumphs and disasters, have made fly fishing what it is today. History is all around us, and you can't pick up a fly rod without taking part in it. So when you cast your line, and flick the fly into your future, remember that one day, it will be someone else's past. Time has a habit of catching up with you faster than you think.

--Dr. Andrew Herd

#10 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Toothbugs, huh, methinks the 5 mil Jeryspoons method works for me and I cant see any difference in the effect!! So without trying to be too much of a perfectionist it works.
Analytical, mm well thanks I will steer clear. Good advice all round.

Cant post my pics as photobucket has got some phishing issues.

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

Like the others have said don't tryin' overthink it. Syringes are very cheap and extremely accurate for measuring finish. I usually just put mine in to a mixing cup (one part A syringe in one cup and part B syringe in the other) and leave them on my bench. Usually get at least 20+ rods out of a set before I have to pitch them so at about $1 a pair that is only a few cents per rod. I know it's always tempting to try to find a "better way" to do things, but sometimes the simple tried & true way is the best.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#12 Infinity Rod Creations

Infinity Rod Creations
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

I count drops out of the tip of the plastic corker bottle tops.  Probably the most un-exact way of measuring and I've never had a problem with the finish I use setting up.  I don't use flex coat because when I first started building, I found it finicky with mixing ratios and it didn't level the way I wanted it to.  That all changed when I started using *brand censored due to trademark protection*.

Dj

"My drifts are so distant, I dial a 1 + (area code) when setting the hook!"

Handcrafted Float, Fly, Switch and Spey Fishing Rods
http://www.infinityrodcreations.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users