Perma-Glass aplyed over stickers

6 replies to this topic

#1 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Bumping and Humping.

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Has anybody ever had any problems with Permagloss applied over a stickers like a reaction to the print or the plastic sticker itself.

Glenn McMurrian

#2 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hey Glenn,   I assume you may mean "Permagloss"

If anybody has tried Permagloss over stickers, I can guarantee they have had issues. The Xylene in the Permagloss will destroy the decal-Xylene is a "slow solvent" as is relates to evaporation as compared to Acetone and the like but is does not play well with decals at all. It will do strange stuff to 'em......Then you just start over...

Permagloss is not recommended to be used over any decals, no matter who makes 'em.

Good luck.

Charlie

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

#3 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

I have destroyed plenty of adhesive backed decals with various solvents. I even had one melt on me after applying epoxy that was reduced with denatured alcohol, a fairly mild solvent.

One thing I know which works.... Permagloss or Lumiseal over a waterslide decal. I have done this using waterslide paper made for a laser printer. After I printed my graphic, I sprayed on a couple coats of Krylon clear matte acrylic lacquer before wetting and sliding the decal. It worked very well and the clear parts of the decal are essentially invisble under the finish.

Alternatively, if you must use a sticker, I would bet a water based urethane like Minwax Polycrylic would work just fine. I have not tried this but these products are solvent free and work well for rod building purposes.

#4 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

I've had Permagloss take out drafting ink, paint, .....   I am hesitant to use it as a hobby builder.  It takes a while to get the hang of, and after opening the bottle, you don't get that many uses out of it.   

I've used some of the minwax poly finishes, and I like them, but not all of them are crystal clear.  Some of them have a yellow tinge like varnish.  I don't like that look over a black blank. (or red or blue blank, for that matter).  Some of them are more clear than others and keeping the number of coats down helps, but covering a decal or signature area is where it shows up the most.

#5 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

I've used some of the minwax poly finishes, and I like them, but not all of them are crystal clear.

The acrylic based products have no yellow or amber tinge at all. The polyuethanes and other varnishes do however.

#6 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:05 PM

Gents,

With all due respect to each one's specific application technique, for what reason are we wanting to apply anything over a decal except the desired epoxy product?

Any decal with a high quality adhesive, after properly applied, should not need any help adhering to a rod blank.

Decals made from anything other than a vinyl product, such as paper decals, parchment, etc may require handling in special ways just to make sure they adhere well because of the quality of the adhesive layer.

Vinyl media, especially the types I use made by 3M, are high quality sign vinyls and are designed with adhesive layers that stick like grim death and never need any help to make them stick to a rod blank. Trust me....put one on "almost cured" epoxy layer and you will destroy the decal as well as the epoxy layer if you try to get it removed from the blank.

Thanks,  Charlie

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

#7 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

Gents,

With all due respect to each one's specific application technique, for what reason are we wanting to apply anything over a decal except the desired epoxy product?

Some desire to use something other than epoxy.  The original question was about Permagloss.

Getting a good coat on your thread wraps is an art and when you get a method that works, you like to stick with it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users