Photo

Absolute wreck

8 replies to this topic

#1 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

Have a 2pc Sage 5wt a customer wants stripped and redone. He had the blank and friend said he could build it for him. Looks like he started to put finish on the top sections first then by the time he got to the butt the epoxy was hardening. To make matters worse he went under and 2-3 inches past the wraps on the two double footed striper guides on the butt section with finish. All the running guides are single foot hardloy spinning guides. The double footed stripper guides are about 45 degrees off center from the reel seat. Some of the finish was still soft and peeling, some came off easily with heat but where he laid it thin 2-3"  past the  stripper guides it seems hard and heat will barely soften it. What I can heat and and scrape  leaves a white residue and the clear finish on the blank looks dull. I don't know if he thought you had to scuff the blank before putting finish on or what. There are small spots under the finish that looks like he went through the color and down to the raw scrim. I'm debating whether or not to sand the entire blank and paint it or salvage what I can. OK end of rant...Question is, does it sound like he may have used a hardware store epoxy?  I have stripped only a few rods but I never had to strip a thin layer of finish that left a dryish white residue. Any magic potions that will attack the epoxy without harming the blank? DNA doesn't seem to soften it or remove the white residue.

The problem areas are not over thread, BTW

Thanks

Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish!!

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Can't really help you but can wish you good luck.  Let us know how things turn out after you hear from the others here.

A friend brought a fly rod to our last TU meeting.  He passed it around and wanted to see what we could spot what was wrong with it.  Being the outstanding rod builder that I am (what?), I was able to spot several things.  OK- the stripper guide and the second guide were each off center, the reel seat didn't line up with any guide, epoxy seemed like it was regular epoxy and hard as a rock.  Plus the epoxy looked like it was put on with a broom.  We were told the guy who built it was a rod builder.  Yeh, right?  You kind of wonder, don't you.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

Hard to tell what finish he might have used, but it sounds like the factory finish has also been damaged in some way. It seems you have a couple of alternatives. One is as you mentioned to scrape and sand the entire blank and repaint it. The other would be to scrape and sand only the areas that have the bad finish on them and then cover them with decorative wraps and epoxy. Good luck!

John A.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

If it's as bad as it sounds I would be tempted to contact Sage and ask them about replacing it. They are usually a pretty easy company to work with when I have had to get replacements from them in the past.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#5 45fisher

45fisher
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

I've had good luck using those bamboo kabob sticks to remove epoxy wo damaging the blank.

Bamboo is a great scraper.

I just rub the bamboo across the epoxy and I think the heat created peels/scrapes the epoxy away like a file.

Since it is not a hard a graphite it can't harm the blank.

I've use this technique to remove epoxy from between the guides when an unsteady hand leave epoxy in places not wanted.

It might be worth a try. Good luck.

Larry

#6 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

Steve,

Even for a blank some hack screwed up? If so I'd say that is way above and beyond customer satisfaction.

I'll be in contact with them. Thanks

I think I'll see how close we can match the color in our body shop an try to spot in the worse areas with an air brush just for the experience.

Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish!!

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

Yep some companies are pretty good about that and Sage is usually one of them. 

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#8 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

Steve, thanks for the info on Sage.  Good to know.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#9 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Years ago some intentionally offset the stripper supposedly to improve line flow during the cast.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users