Photo

Spigot Ferrules

3 replies to this topic

#1 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

Long time reader, first time poster. Great forum and members here and I really appreciate all the info that I have gotten!

I have read up on spigot ferrules on a fiberglass blank and I just wanted to verify my findings because I have seen the wraps done both ways. I have read that you should wrap the female end roughly 2 to 2 1/2 inches up, enough that it covers up the male end to fortify the blank in that area so that it won't break if stressed too much. But then I have seen a couple of builds on here where that is not done. Is it personal preference? I am making this for my son, 7, and it's a 6'6" 3wt so I am not sure how much stress will be put on the rod by a 7 year old, haha, but I also want to make it as good as I can so that he can use it for as long as he wants.

Any info will be helpful and thanks in advance!!!

-Jon

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

I generally only wrap both sides no more than 3/4 of an inch, and have never had any issues. It is and has been recommended that when wrapping the female ferrule you have the male seated in it, although I have done it both ways

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

Something is needed on most spiggot ferrule blanks, since they are cut from a single blank and the female ferrule doesn't have extra material. Unless the manufacturer says otherwise.

I've seen both ways (long and short) but err on the long side myself.  However if you are using an Angler's roost blank, those ferrules are longer than I feel are necessary.  Sometimes I do two short wraps, separated with a spiral wrap to make it look nice. 

#4 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users