Photo

Rod finish container

3 replies to this topic

#1 gcarlson

gcarlson
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

I use a soda or beer can turned up side down for mixing and applying my epoxy rod finish. I prefer a full can because it is more stable than an empty one and I can heat or cool the can in water before using to help control the epoxy temperature during finishing.
First remove the printing on the concave surface of the bottom of the can using some lacquer thinner and a paper towel. Then add the epoxy parts and stir with a stick. I find that the satin finish of the aluminum shows the status of the mixing well, showing if there are still streaks in the mixture. The can is then at a good height for dipping my brush.
Be sure to either clean the can or let the epoxy dry before you drink it and set it on your heirloom table top. If you don't you may have a permanent beer can stuck to your table.

#2 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

Nice idea. But if I had to toss out a can of coke every time I mixed up so epoxy what would I have with my Rum/Whiskey? But then again look at the paint brush your using to apply said epoxy. You must be made of money lol whistling1.gif

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Just happened to see this thread and decided to read it. Let's see.....cans of beer + epoxy + several mixes = verschnicken rod builder!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 DrewP

DrewP
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Funny-I use this method too, except my coke can has been through 20+ rods at this point. I mix first in a shot glass, then pour into the base of the coke can, clear the bubbles and apply.

The aluminum can pulls away any heat from the mix and is at the perfect height to apply.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users