Photo

rod tubes, socks

34 replies to this topic

#1 hbell

hbell
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

Does anyone find PVC a good rod tube? What do you use for a simple rod sock? what about longer 1 piece rods, say 7'6" and up?

#2 AgMD

AgMD
  • Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

PVC makes for an excellent rod tube. Nearly indestructible, inexpensive, easily made to the right length, and doesn't scream "steal me" when left in the back of the car. Not the most handsome of rod tubes but for pure functionality it is hard to beat.
Socks, I usually can find something off the shelf from one of the suppliers which will meet my needs. But, right now I am restoring a 10 1/2 bamboo rod with two tips and two mids so I know that I will never find something off the shelf to fit it. I have been in contact with a local woman who does custom sewing and she seems to think that she can sew up just what I need.
AgMD
Now fishin' with Spam may be crazy for sure
But it sure beats fishin with a ten dollar lure

#3 Bruce Johnstone

Bruce Johnstone
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'll second AgMD on the use of PVC. I have about 10 of them and need more. I just glue a cap on one end, put a circle of 1/2 in foam in the cap before i glue it on or if I forget I just shove it down later. I just use another slip on cap with foam in it on the other end. There are various screw on caps that can be used. For rod socks my wife has a bunch of different flannels she used for making pajamas for our kid. It works great for rod socks if you don't mind the looks you get when you pull them out of the tube. (some of the patterns are alittle different).

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

my wife has a bunch of different flannels she used for making pajamas for our kid.

Anyone for a rod sock with Spiderman or Barbie on it? hysterical.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Anglers Workshop can probably fis you up. They get their tubes from Clear Creek and there are tubes for any sized rod you might come across. Clear Creek makes rod socks, too. Again, any size you want.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#6 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (John T. @ Feb 28 2012, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my wife has a bunch of different flannels she used for making pajamas for our kid.

Anyone for a rod sock with Spiderman or Barbie on it? hysterical.gif

A friend on another board made a set of rod jammies for me from a nice plaid flannel for my little 6' 2w 'boo scrounge rod. I think they are pretty classy.
Kevin

#7 baitwaister

baitwaister
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

My wife sews up my rod socks. Always in the sewing and craft stores looking at flannels, fleece and upholstery fabrics. Lots of cool designs out there.

#8 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

These work nice...

Rod Slicks

and are availalbe in different lengths and sizes to fit most needs.

#9 Wolf

Wolf
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Can't say enough about Clear Creaks products. They did a really nice custom job for me at a surprising low cost.

#10 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

I used stone creek Ltd recently. You buy the pvc to the length you want and they send the sleeve with zippered cap. My one complaint is that it doesn't have a handle.

#11 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

I use Clear Creek. They even put my logo on the tubes for me.
Kevin

#12 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

I usually get mine from Ron at Landmark. I like his aluminum tubes with the O ring sealed gold ends on them. Good price and great guy. But one of these days I have to give Clear Creek a try as well. I've been wanting to see how good they are since Kevin told me about them a few months ago but just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Steve

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#13 Koos Eckard

Koos Eckard
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

I also use Ron. I just buy the ends from him and then I get the Aluminium tube in a 6 Meter length here in S.A.
Cause then I am able to make my own lengths. And to custom them the way I want to.

I will explain.....

#14 Koos Eckard

Koos Eckard
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

There is nothing wrong with PVC tubes.
You get the screw in caps that you can use on it as well as the caps that you just press in.
I sometimes mail rods in PVC as its cheap and rugged enough to protect the rods.

Here is some links....

http://fishingjones....p-diy-rod-tube/

http://sbixel.com/2012/02/07/rod-tube/

http://flyfishingnew...y-rod-tube.html

This is a fantastic choice.....

http://www.mudhole.c...be-Rod-Tube-Kit

How to assemble....

http://www.mudhole.c...Brochure_mh.pdf

#15 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

If you live somewhere where they do irrigation regularly (lawn sprinklers and such) Try SDR-26 or SDR-32 pvc. This is much thinner walled than the sched 40 pipe you find in the hardware store. It is low pressure PVC, and might not be quite as strong, but is more than strong enough for a rod tube. SDR32 makes a good rod mailing tube.

Carl

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users