Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Would this be a good starter lathe? http://www.harborfre...image_13471.jpg

#17 matt_a

matt_a
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ Feb 21 2012, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight nearby but keep an eye on this lathe.

http://www.harborfre...athe-65345.html

It is on sale now for $199. Couple that with a 20% off coupon (often available from the flyers they have inside the store) and you have a deal.

This is the lathe I use and I love it. It uses MT2 tapers for accessories on both the head and tail stocks and the threads on the headstock are 1"x 8TPI, also very common. Some of the other HF lathes are not that friendly for accessories. This one also seems to be the best built one of the bunch.

Forgive my hijack....Kevin does this lathe have a spindle bore in the head stock. Im close to taking the plunge and would like to be able to turn down ferrule stations with the lathe. I'm not even sure if I ask the right question. Can I use this lathe to turn down ferrule stations?

Thanks

Matt
Bamboo blanks, rods, & components
Check out my building apps and youtube channel

albaughcanerods.com
[email protected]

~Rise Above

#18 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (matt_a @ Mar 15 2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive my hijack....Kevin does this lathe have a spindle bore in the head stock. Im close to taking the plunge and would like to be able to turn down ferrule stations with the lathe. I'm not even sure if I ask the right question. Can I use this lathe to turn down ferrule stations?

Thanks

Yes, it does. I have taped a graphite rod up and mounted it up in a chuck to turn a single cork ring I had replaced down a couple of times. I'm sure you could turn your ferrule stations with it. Just tape up the blank where it comes through the headstock spindle and support on the far end if necessary.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#19 matt_a

matt_a
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ Mar 15 2012, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (matt_a @ Mar 15 2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

Yes, it does. I have taped a graphite rod up and mounted it up in a chuck to turn a single cork ring I had replaced down a couple of times. I'm sure you could turn your ferrule stations with it. Just tape up the blank where it comes through the headstock spindle and support on the far end if necessary.

Thank you. So its good to go right out of the box for ferrule station cutting and turning cork grips and inserts.

Any extras I sould look at? I plan on grabing a set of tools for turning but what about chucks?

Matt

Matt

albaughcanerods.com
[email protected]

~Rise Above

#20 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (matt_a @ Mar 16 2012, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you. So its good to go right out of the box for ferrule station cutting and turning cork grips and inserts.

Any extras I sould look at? I plan on grabing a set of tools for turning but what about chucks?

Matt

Don't get the cheapest tools as they will give you a huge amount of practice at sharpening. whistling1.gif

I have 2 of the drill chucks mounted on MT2 tapers and on occasion use them both at the same time. I had a bamboo rod that broke right above the male ferrule come in the other day. I tried to heat the ferrule and dig out the busted off part but wound up chucking the ferrule in the headstock and drilling it out. The drill chucks are about $15 each at HF but twice that anywhere else.

Those chucks and the turning tools are about all you can pick up at the store. I haven't used the 3 or 4 jaw chucks they have on the website and I do not think those are scroll type chucks anyway. Getting things truly centered could be a pain in the shit.gif chute.

I use a pen mandrel for my inserts and pens. I chuck grips that I have glued up on the mandrel into a drill chuck to turn. I bore blanks with my Nova G3 chuck fitted with pin jaws on the headstock and a drill chuck in the tailstock. The G3 also handles cup and bowl turning with ease.
Kevin

#21 matt_a

matt_a
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

When the wife calls me about a 100 pound package on the porch...I'm blaming you Kevin!! Not that it will work... boxing.gif

And further down the spiral I go.....I figure the time I'll save by not having to turn a ferrule station by hand is money well spent. Who could argue with THAT!

Matt

albaughcanerods.com
[email protected]

~Rise Above

#22 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

When the wife calls me about a 100 pound package on the porch...

Tell her Happy Anniversary/birthday or whatever! Then tell her she needs a meaningful hobby. All this time, be in a crouched position so you can get a running start if these ideas don't work!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#23 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (matt_a @ Mar 16 2012, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the wife calls me about a 100 pound package on the porch...I'm blaming you Kevin!! Not that it will work... boxing.gif

And further down the spiral I go.....I figure the time I'll save by not having to turn a ferrule station by hand is money well spent. Who could argue with THAT!

Matt. It's OK. I can handle it. With an ex-wife, a wife, 6 daughters, 12 granddaughters (I think) and a great granddaughter, women don't scare me anymore.

Kevin

#24 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Wolf @ Mar 14 2012, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry I missed this.

I do not like this particular lathe as the bed is quite short and the MT1 accessories are a bit harder to locate but not a lot. My lathe listed above is 18" between centers and I find that a bit short at times. The variable speed is nice but hte bed is just too darn short in my estimation.

Kevin

#25 Wolf

Wolf
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thank you Kevin

#26 Wolf

Wolf
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Would you recommend a mini lathe or a full size? What should I be looking for in a lathe? Thanks as always.

#27 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Wolf @ Mar 16 2012, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you recommend a mini lathe or a full size? What should I be looking for in a lathe? Thanks as always?

I really like the lathe from HF that Matt and I were talking about above. I do a few things other than pens, grips, and inserts but not much. This lathe does the job for me just fine and it fits in my workshop.
Kevin

#28 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

If you have room for it, go for full size. Sooner or later you are going to want to turn something bigger. The midi lathes are a nice compromise if space is limited, but definitely don't go small, not it a wood lathe.

#29 45fisher

45fisher
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Wolf @ Mar 14 2012, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are looking for a chuck, Nova has some of their recondtioned chucks available for resale. I just purchased a reconditioned Precision Midi for $79. They have G3's and their SuperNOVAs also recondidtioned for sale. Link below.

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/main.sc

Larry

#30 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Wolf @ Mar 16 2012, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you recommend a mini lathe or a full size? What should I be looking for in a lathe? Thanks as always.

The mini/midi can do all you'll need for rodbuilding, as long as you can do arithmetic. The length of the bed will actually be a little shorter than what they say, then you have to subtract for whatever holds the mandrel at each end, and you'll have bushings on each end of the grip you want to turn. As Kevin pointed out, some small lathes don't have quite enough length.

At some point, woodturning may appeal to you and buying a bigger lathe right off makes some sense. Even so, you can still do a lot with a mini/midi, if it's of reasonable quality. It amazes me what I've managed to make on my Jet 1014 with bed extension while I save up for a big lathe. 7-8" bowls, boxes, even a stupid bird house hollowed out of a 6" diameter by 12" long log. I can't speak to the materials/workmanship of the many brands of small lathes that look similar, but my little Jet is tough and remarkably capable.

Gnossos

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users