Photo

lathes

29 replies to this topic

#1 hbell

hbell
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

I am after a bench tor style midi lathe under $150.00. Has anyone come across such an animal. Do NOT want to hassel w/ my drill. headbang.gif
ANY ideas will ne appreciated. Danka

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Keep your eyes open on craigslist, I picked this one up for 100.00, and it was used once. Did not include the tools you see though.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight nearby but keep an eye on this lathe.

http://www.harborfre...athe-65345.html

It is on sale now for $199. Couple that with a 20% off coupon (often available from the flyers they have inside the store) and you have a deal.

This is the lathe I use and I love it. It uses MT2 tapers for accessories on both the head and tail stocks and the threads on the headstock are 1"x 8TPI, also very common. Some of the other HF lathes are not that friendly for accessories. This one also seems to be the best built one of the bunch.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#4 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Ipicked mine up on Craigslist. Got a fullsize Craftsman that had just been gone through. New drive belts and such with a stand and a couple of tools. More tools from Harbour Freight and then more tools from the wood store. Went from $300 to about $600. Just trying to make two points. If you can't find a new one at a really good price keep looking for used. You want to get the best at the best price because you will need to buy other stuff as you start playing with it more. Oh, and it is fun to play with!

Mike

#5 hbell

hbell
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Feb 21 2012, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep your eyes open on craigslist, I picked this one up for 100.00, and it was used once. Did not include the tools you see though.

Now that's what I'm Talkin' about! Thanks

#6 hbell

hbell
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ Feb 21 2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight nearby but keep an eye on this lathe.

http://www.harborfre...athe-65345.html

It is on sale now for $199. Couple that with a 20% off coupon (often available from the flyers they have inside the store) and you have a deal.

This is the lathe I use and I love it. It uses MT2 tapers for accessories on both the head and tail stocks and the threads on the headstock are 1"x 8TPI, also very common. Some of the other HF lathes are not that friendly for accessories. This one also seems to be the best built one of the bunch.

Good advice, as always. Thanks

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Look on eBay and Craigslist. I got mine from CL. Used lathe, $125 for a 33 inch bed. It's a HF #34706. Be aware- tools can total more than the lathe. Also, I got HF turning tools- ones with the red handles.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#8 hbell

hbell
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (John T. @ Feb 25 2012, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look on eBay and Craigslist. I got mine from CL. Used lathe, $125 for a 33 inch bed. It's a HF #34706. Be aware- tools can total more than the lathe. Also, I got HF turning tools- ones with the red handles.

Can you tell me what CL is, please?
Thanks

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

CL = Craigslist

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#10 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Look on eBay and Craigslist. I got mine from CL. Used lathe, $125 for a 33 inch bed. It's a HF #34706.

This is a good lathe ... just like the Jet 1236 ... it's on my short list of things to get behind,
1 - reliable Table Saw
2 - Planer
3 - Drill Press with more than a 3" throw

Be aware- tools can total more than the lathe. Also, I got HF turning tools- ones with the red handles.

Those are very good tools but don't think they have them any longer. I'll check and see today when I go and pick up a Vacuum Pump for a new
system I'm building for a pen turner.

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#11 Soup

Soup
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (John T. @ Feb 25 2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. Be aware- tools can total more than the lathe.

Replace the word "can" with "will". I spent around $600 on my lathe and must have at least 2K in tools, chucks, tool rests, ..... It's a never ending vortex that will keep your wallet light for the rest of my life.

#12 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Soup, is that all-2X? shocking.gif When I started turning about a year ago, I found $200 chucks, $100 per skew, etc. My wife keeps asking me when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. I mentioned dating again but that went over like a lead balloon! bugeyes.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#13 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (rhossack @ Feb 26 2012, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look on eBay and Craigslist. I got mine from CL. Used lathe, $125 for a 33 inch bed. It's a HF #34706.

This is a good lathe ... just like the Jet 1236 ... it's on my short list of things to get behind,
1 - reliable Table Saw
2 - Planer
3 - Drill Press with more than a 3" throw

Be aware- tools can total more than the lathe. Also, I got HF turning tools- ones with the red handles.

Those are very good tools but don't think they have them any longer. I'll check and see today when I go and pick up a Vacuum Pump for a new
system I'm building for a pen turner.

No new table saw until your fingers are back to full length! tongue.gif

#14 Soup

Soup
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Feb 27 2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soup, is that all-2X? shocking.gif When I started turning about a year ago, I found $200 chucks, $100 per skew, etc. My wife keeps asking me when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. I mentioned dating again but that went over like a lead balloon! bugeyes.gif

Since I replaced the French door in our backroom, my wife rarely ventures out to the garage (my shop), to get to the backyard deck. I'm keeping her in the dark about this situation. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#15 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Women develop X-ray vision. They can see guns, fishing rods, boots, etc. in the back corner of the darkest closet!

John T.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users