Landing nets

40 replies to this topic

#31 madkasel

madkasel
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(madkasel @ Feb 21 2007, 10:17 PM) View Post

I built this net a few years ago by bending thin strips of walnut and ash around a frame I built. I did not steam or soak any of the strips and it worked great... lots of thin strips instead of a couple thick ones. Did it all in one fell swoop... was a very harried 10 minutes of glueing and clamping and slamming them flat with a heavy mallet, you better believe!! I went to Big Lots and bought a bunch of big cheapo C clamps to accomplish the task.

Plans were from Wood Magazine. (I made the lures in the picture, too)

IPB Image

HELP!!!

I'm making another net like this to donate to a TU event and I'm having issues with finding a "just right" net bag.

The interior dimensions of the net are 14" X 9"

The total interior circumference is 35"

Per the plans, I drill holes for 44 loops, but that can be adjusted either way by a bit of course.

I'm thinking about this one. Think it'll work?? It's 2 inches wider than ideal, and 2 less loops.

http://www.jannsnetc...ets/934143.aspx

Maybe I'm just being a bit too crazy about this, but I need to order the right one because it needs to be done in two weeks. No time to order, find out I'm wrong and order again.

#32 melanochromis

melanochromis
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

That net will probably work for you. You may have to bunch the net a bit to make it fit just right. If you have not drilled the holes yet just drill 40 and use two loops for one hole a couple of times. That will crease the net a bit and use up those extra two inches. I would put the crease at the handle or on the sharpest bend so it shows the least.

Funny but I am going to Jann's Netcraft today to pick up supplies for the rod I am starting to build today. thumbup.gif

#33 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

I would love to try to make a landing net, but for now "I have too many irons in the fire" dunno.gif

#34 madkasel

madkasel
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(melanochromis @ Dec 29 2007, 10:40 AM) View Post

That net will probably work for you. You may have to bunch the net a bit to make it fit just right. If you have not drilled the holes yet just drill 40 and use two loops for one hole a couple of times. That will crease the net a bit and use up those extra two inches. I would put the crease at the handle or on the sharpest bend so it shows the least.

Funny but I am going to Jann's Netcraft today to pick up supplies for the rod I am starting to build today. thumbup.gif

Thanks for your input!

That's a good thought about spacing and the loops.

#35 Ethan Feinsod

Ethan Feinsod
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

Building a landing net is on my list also after I finish a rod or two.
A number of years ago when building Windsor chairs I would bend the backs of ash while the wood was still very green on a form. I would let the back dry over night on the form. It worked well. For kayak combings I ripped the ash into thin strips and dry bent with lots of clamps, laminating lots of strips.
E.

#36 robban

robban
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

hello. I have seen a lot of talk about building steam boxes to bend the wood, which is fine but i just thought i would share a method for people that cant be bothered or havent the time and space for a steambox. It is a bit rudimentary but you just fill a pipe with boiling water and insert the cut strips of wood and leave them for a while, if they are thick then just replace the water after a while, but you must leave them to dry for a day before you glue them up.

#37 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

robban, do you bend the wood before drying? Have to go back and review the thread for a winter project.
Edit: went back and looked real quickly at the thread and found the answer.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#38 robban

robban
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

yes i bend the wood while its wet then leave it to dry and form shape, i have done nets without steaming at all but it is always in the back of your mind that it may start to split as there is still a lot of force in the unsteamed wood wanting to go straight again. I only use 2-3mm laminate strips so they heat up quickly and you can sometimes force them and hold them by hand on the template using only the bare minimum of clamping, another way would be to wrap strips of material around the bending laminates and the template so you dont need any clamps.
I also learnt a really good trick off of an american net makers website where he used strips of tyre innertube to wrap around the template and the glued up, pre bent strips of wood, instead of using any clamps. Works damn well.

#39 rasputinj

rasputinj
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

If you want to see some nice nets take a look at Sierra Nets, Greg does some great work, my net should be done by XMas.

#40 dmsirovica

dmsirovica
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

i never would have thought to use a kettle set up for steaming wood

#41 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

A couple of guys in the fly club have classes for net building. I just started mine. The wood choices were pretty plain but it should come out nice anyway. He soaks the strips ina PVC tube, wraps a wet towel around the tight bend area at the middle and irons it, steam infusion! Clamps it around the form till dry and glues and wraps with innertubes. He used to glue and clamp around the form but it used too many clamps, says this is easier. Will post pics when done.

Mike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users