77 replies to this topic

#16 Trout Nut

Trout Nut
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (froggy @ Nov 27 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gnossos,
These are the kits I've been using. I bougfht the mandrel for them as well. All you have to do is drill the blank, tap it with a 3/8-16 tap, screw the mandrel on, chuck it up and turn.
They are really easy to do, and make great gifts. And, from what I've seen, they go pretty well at craft fairs, too.

Chris

Do you glue up your own blanks to get the multi color stopper like in the picture?

TN

#17 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

I have done some laminations, but not for stoppers. There are no limitations to what you can do. You can glue (just about) anything together, turn it down to shape on the lathe, and someone will like it. Whether it's just you, or one of your friends, or the guy willing to pay $15 for it at the local craft fair.

Chris
RULE#1:If you don't take pictures, it didn't happen.

#18 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

Oh, great!!! wallbash.gif Just what I need....something else to do! With all the stuff to do on the lathe for rods, this just adds to the already long list. I'll never get caught up! crying.gif When do I get time to fish???? help.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#19 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hey, skeet, I got my physical hands on that blue pine bowl and it's really beautiful stuff. It's about 14" across and 6" deep, not little like I assumed. The rings are pretty wide, so I suspect his wood came from someplace less arid than here. If you're still interested in a sample of it, I think I can score a chunk from my neighbor's firewood pile and trim it down to a size than would mail. Assuming we're talking reel seats and pens, here. Let me know.
Gnossos

#20 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:46 AM

Gnossos, PM on the way.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#21 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

A friend of mine gave me a nice black birch burl about the size of a football. After a little slicing, I finally turned the pen I promised my daughter. This was my first dye job.

Chris

#22 rovercat

rovercat

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

Oh, great!!! wallbash.gif Just what I need....something else to do! With all the stuff to do on the lathe for rods, this just adds to the already long list. I'll never get caught up! crying. When do I get time to fish???? help.gif

Do you mean one should be able to take time to fish.!!!!!!! huh.gif I was not aware of that whistling1.gif

#23 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

froggy, what did you use for dye? Inquiring minds want to know. OK, I'm nosy.

John T.

#24 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Jan 24 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
froggy, what did you use for dye? Inquiring minds want to know. OK, I'm nosy.

Food coloring.
I wore latex gloves, unless of course you want colored hands, dripped the coloring on the finished (turning-wise) pen, and just rubbed it in with my finger. After it was dry, I sanded with 400 and 1000 grit paper and then a 'fine' Scotch Brite type pad. Don't sand it so much as to take off the dye. You could probably get away with just the 1000. I like to use the pads to help remove all those tiny scratches. I finished it with CA to protect the color.

Chris

#25 Rod O Rama

Rod O Rama
  • Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

That pen for your daughter bugeyes.gif . Very, very nice.
http://www.renaissanceflyrods.com/
If I ever build the perfect rod, I'll retire.

#26 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Thank you!
She agrees with you. Which, by the way, make a father very happy!!

Chris

#27 gmreeves

gmreeves
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Do you finish the pens with CA just like the tutorial for reel seats or do you apply it while the lathe is spinning?

#28 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (gmreeves @ Jan 25 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you finish the pens with CA just like the tutorial for reel seats or do you apply it while the lathe is spinning?

Same way. I tried it while it was spinning...once. It dried waaaayyy too fast and took the finger of the glove off my finger shocking.gif blink.gif
That won't happen again!

Chris

#29 splinters

splinters
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

You people are a bad influence.

I joined this forum to learn about planing bamboo. That's all, just bamboo, enough for anyone.
Next thing I know I own a lathe for making reel seat hardware, ok at least they're connected.
Then I see the things you use your lathes for apart from rod work.
So the guy at the wood shed sells me five pen kits to learn on and says "See you Friday."
"No chance, I won't be back for a while." says I.
He laughs and shows me a selection of bottle stoppers and keyfob sets.
"See you Friday."
Today is Thursday. shocking.gif

Thanks a bunch.

Simon.
No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn't work anyway.

#30 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Very nice! You don't really expect any sympathy do you?
So, next pictures should be posted on.......Monday?

Mike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users