Photo

steel or ali forms

4 replies to this topic

#1 msrampant

msrampant
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

I was looking at making a form and thought about using aluminium 1" X 1" to use as I can get it cheaper than steel and will be a heck of a lot easier to profile and work with than steel, is there any down sides?
Mark

#2 mdraft1

mdraft1
  • Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Your plane with absolutely destroy the forms.

www.proofflyfishing.com

Your source for fair priced, high quality rod building supplies.  Snake Brand guides, cork, thread, blanks, rod finish, tools, etc...  

#3 BambooBeginner

BambooBeginner
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

Your plane with absolutely destroy the forms.

Having been using aluminum forms for some time now I can safely say this is complete and utter tosh - if your plane destroys your forms you are getting things significantly wrong in the planing department. A properly sharpened plane used sensibly and a scraper used to finish the last couple of thou will do your forms no harm at all.

If you are having trouble with corrosion affecting your forms (like I was) do not be afraid to have a go at making a set of aluminum forms - the only tricky part is cutting the groove because the file loads up much faster than it does when making steel forms. With the judicious use of a cutting lubricant and plenty of patience however the job is fine.

As inward love breeds outward talk, The hound some praise, and some the hawk; Some, better pleased with private sport, Use tennis; some a mistress court: But these delights I neither wish Nor envy, while I freely fish.

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

You do realize that the original post is over 4 years old

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 BambooBeginner

BambooBeginner
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

You do realize that the original post is over 4 years old

Yes - but the information within the forum is still actively read by people interested in learning about rod building... and it would be a shame if misinformation put someone off trying something that could make a positive difference to their rod building.

Having ignored the bad information and tried the idea for myself I wanted to share that experience in case it can help anyone - I may ever know because the posting rate has all but halted, but that's not important.

As inward love breeds outward talk, The hound some praise, and some the hawk; Some, better pleased with private sport, Use tennis; some a mistress court: But these delights I neither wish Nor envy, while I freely fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users