Photo

Painting Rod

9 replies to this topic

#1 msn26753

msn26753
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

I have a couple questions that maybe yall can help me with... Im new so dont bark at me, and if I say something that makes you think I dont know what Im talking about, it is exactly that, I dont know what Im talking about, so please correct me... Lol

Question 1)

I have a Gloss Black Graphite Rod.. I want to spray paint Yellow Approx 2 foot of rod on it and blend the yellow into the black... Do you have to Prime the Rod? For what Im doing, I cant really prime it. I am going to use Krylon Fuision being thats what Ive heard is the best... Anyhow, So do you guys prime before or is it safe not to.. After I get done painting, do I need to put a Epoxy over it, Or Leave it, Or put a urethane finish over the top of it?

Question 2)

I want to do some small painting artwork.. What Kind of Craftpaint should I use.. Should I epoxy over the top of it or put a urenthane over the top of it? This will be something very small decorative painting...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Mike

#2 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Mike,

I have painted rods in the past using the paints that are made for plastics....like your Krylon Fusion.

I did not use a primer and saw no ill effects. I would scuff the blank a bit before painting for better adhesion.

After I used the colored paint, I later went over it with a clear gloss of the same paint type.

Read and follow the instructions on the paint can to the letter. It really does make a difference.

I would warn about using Permagloss over the paint to protect it. I think it would just eat right through your new paint job.

As far as the second question, I would suggest using Testors model paints.

If it's a small area, I would put rod finish epoxy over it to protect it.

Those are my suggestions, I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Brian

#3 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

One other thing....  any paint or gloss that you put on the rod is most likely not going to be as hard a finish than the factory finish.

#4 msn26753

msn26753
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:56 PM

2 thumbs up BGreer... Answered my questions to the dot... I appreciate it... Its funny how sometimes you reasearch something and theres so many right and wrong ways that it just confuses the mess out of ya.. And thats kinda what happend here.. Im gonna give it a whirl and see what happends...

Thanks,

Mike

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Another thing I would do is give it at least a week to dry and cure before you start doing any building on it

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#6 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:46 AM

Yep, Ron is 100% correct.

The 'plastic paints' need a *long* time to fully cure.

I live in the humid midwest and I let mine sit for well over a week.

If it's not cured up hard enough, thread will dig into the surface while wrapping, making for ugly wraps.

At worst, you might leave permanent depressions in the painted areas.

#7 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

I have painted a few blanks.  I used the Krylon paint.

I got citristrip from the big box store gave the blanks a good heavy coat and wrped it up in tin foil for about 4 hours or so.  I able to use a plastic putty knife and basically shave the old paint off.

I sprayed 3 light coats per the instructions, then let it set for 7 days.

I then sprayed 3 light coats of clear and let it set another 7 days.  

Here is the result:  http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=31798

#8 msn26753

msn26753
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Awesome... looks good... Yeah, I didnt think about waiting that long to dry... Thanks for the tip...  I just received the rod had a water leak in house, now Its gonna be chagning floor and walls out for next few weeks before I get a chance to mess with it.. Actually, I guess paint could be drying in the mean time.. lol.. Thanks guys

#9 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

That would be a good option, paint it let it sit, and since you will be so busy you won't get as case of the anxious and jump the gun

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#10 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

I'm a big fan of Dupli-Color Automotive spray paint.   Lots of colors and goes on nice.

I'm going to order a 10' 6"  4 or 5wt Switch Blank as soon as I find one my pocket book doesn't choke on.  Then I'm going to try a new paint/color.   Mopar Laquer in M37 Stryker Green. 

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users