Fly rod kit ?

First attempt !

4 replies to this topic

#1 Geo.

Geo.
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

I'm in a nursing home with a want to build my first fly rod. My question is what is a affordable fly rod kit to build, most everything I've seen is out of my price range. I have plenty of time on my hands so this is not a rush deal. What I'm looking for is something in kit form with rod blank included.
Any help is appreciated , George , [email protected]

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

How complete of a kit are you after? what length and weight. Do you need the finish and glue for it?  Lot of options to consider.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 Geo.

Geo.
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

I'm thinking a complete kit minus reel. As for glue and thread I have leftover from repairing casting rod eyes.
Many thanks for your response, George Auburtin. Marion, Ala

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

What size and length?

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

I'm not sure what Ron has, I'm sure he can put together a nice package for you, but, to be perfectly honest, you aren't going to find any really "cheap" rod building kits.  Glue and thread are relatively cheap components.  You won't save much there.  About the best I can find, right now, is about $85, (that includes a 2-piece rod blank, guides, grip and reel seat.)  Thread and glue might add $5 to the total price.  Of course, I can also find rod kits that run $300-$400, but I don't think that's the way you wanted to go.

You will always be able to find a cheap, off the shelf rod that costs less than what you can build one for.  That's because it's cheaper for some Chinese factory to purchase the components, in bulk, than it is for you to custom configure a rod.  That said, the rod you build yourself will almost certainly be better than that cheap, off the shelf rod.

Before continuing, though, as Ron is hinting, you need to decide what you want to build for your first rod.  The weight, length and number of sections are critical, as each of these has a major affect on the cost of  the blank, and some of that will depend on what your target species of fish are.  For Bluegill or stocked trout, a 4wt., for pond bass, a 6wt., and so on.  For length, 8' to 9' is kind of standard, but if you'll be fishing small streams, you might want to go a bit shorter.

Without knowing anything else, I would recommend a 2-piece 9 foot 5wt as being a good general all purpose rod to start with.  Rest assured, you will probably build more than one rod.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users