Photo

help choosing a 10-12wt saltwater blank

8 replies to this topic

#1 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

I'm looking for a bit of help narrowing the field down on blanks for a good saltwater rod for my Dad.  He's a self proclaimed crappy caster, and needs all the help he can there, so a forgiving blank would be ideal.  Weight is also a BIG issue, physically he's got some issues so the lighter the better honestly.  He lives in Hawaii and is mostly casting from shore, and wind is usually at least a moderate factor.  On my end, the cost is a major factor so I'm looking mostly at blanks in the $100-$150 range (roughly).  

Any feedback, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JB

#2 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

Is 2pc ok or do you need to go to 4pc?  There are probably some really nice 2pc NOS blanks available in this price range.

Also, I don't know the lay of the land out there, but a two hander might be a better option if he really has physical issues.  A single hander 12 wt in the surf is going to really going to give your shoulder a work out.

#3 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Carl,

I have tried introducing him to the world of 2 handed casting, but let's just say that he's living proof that it's hard to teach an old do new tricks.  It could be an option at some point but he's still in more the curious but hesitant stage with regards to 2 handed casting.

As for 2pc vs 4pc, a 4pc would be really really preferable.  A 2pc rod could be an option though, I've not hear of NOS before so I'll have to check them out.   Thanks for the tip.

JB

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

NOS is new old stock

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

NOS is new old stock

...Oh.... well now I feel greener than green (which I am)...

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

I may have a 3pc 12wt, will have to check when I get home this evening and let you know

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#7 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Yes, New Old Stock is just stuff that has been sitting around for a long time in someone's closet or storage room.  

The major manufacturers have moved away from 2pc blanks like the plague since they don't sell well.  There might be some old Winston, Sage, T&T blanks available if you scour the internet.  Especially in the 12wt and above category.

I really don't have much experience with 13wt and above monster rods.  I thought they were more for chum and cast  from a boat when fishing for Marlin and shark and such.  

#8 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

That does make it worth considering a 2 or 3 piece a bit harder then.  I'll do some checking around, and Ron let me know a bit more about the 12wt if you still have it.

Cheers,

JB

#9 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

I have both a 10wt and a 12wt 3pc 9' in stock. They are both from a major manufacture which is unknown. They wer not ebay blanks

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users