Photo

Mead

26 replies to this topic

#1 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

So I decided to take up mead making. The first 5 gallons started its life on Sunday. I plan to split it up after two months and leave some as regular mead and then add berries to some of it to make Melomel. The only down side is it will take anywhere from 6months to a year before it will really be drinkable. I think once this batch is out of my Carboy I will make some hard cider, I hear its ready after its done fermenting.

#2 r-ice

r-ice
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Jojackc @ Jun 10 2013, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I decided to take up mead making. The first 5 gallons started its life on Sunday. I plan to split it up after two months and leave some as regular mead and then add berries to some of it to make Melomel. The only down side is it will take anywhere from 6months to a year before it will really be drinkable. I think once this batch is out of my Carboy I will make some hard cider, I hear its ready after its done fermenting.

sweet, i just ruined a few batches as I forgot about em and left them there with the airlocks dried out.

#3 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'll make it a point to keep checking on them. Not sure if it matters but I used vodka instead of water to insure anything that trys to get won't live long.

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

What the heck are you two babbling about, never heard of it.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

I always use vodka in my bubblers when fermenting beer and mead!

I have a very good mead recipe for a hibiscus mead if you are interested

#6 ThomasR

ThomasR
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

wodka here as well; never had much luck with small batch wine though, more used to the 3000l and up sizes wink.gif
Best regards,

Thomas

#7 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Ron,

Not sure if your asking what mead is or what an air lock is so I will explain both lol. popcorn.gif Mead is a honey wine, it is believed to be one of the first alcoholic drinks ever made. Before there where bars there where Mead halls that people would come to drink at. An air lock is the device you see sticking out of the glass jar. It allows the CO2 to leave the carboy with out letting any outside bacteria or other stuff in. It works kind of like a pea trap on a sink or basically its a one way valve.

Ps Greg I would be interested in the recipe.

#8 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Ok, now I understand. Rod wrapping leads to ALCOHOLISM. drunk.gif cheers.gif What ever happened go a good old bottle of Ripple or Thunderbird?

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#9 ray126

ray126
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

What's the word?thunderbird.What's the reason?grapes in season.What's the price?Fifty twice.Couldn't help it.

#10 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well I will have a bottle with your name on it Ron in about 6 months to a year depending on how it go's lol. Then you can tell me what you think of it.

#11 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Jojackc @ Jun 13 2013, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I will have a bottle with your name on it Ron in about 6 months to a year depending on how it go's lol. Then you can tell me what you think of it.

You know I don't drink. Who's got the time.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#12 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (ray126 @ Jun 13 2013, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the word?thunderbird.What's the reason?grapes in season.What's the price?Fifty twice.Couldn't help it.

OK, that's it, no more spending time with uncle Ed. He's wearing off on you. We had such high hopes but that's fading fast.....Soon you'll be talking about Boones farm.....

Randy

#13 DrVette

DrVette
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

This is scary and a big coincidence. I was just talking to a buddy of mine the other night about wanting to try mead. We were talking about things you never see but always read about in books. Mead and an old ale that lasts for days in a skin are 2 that i started thinking were myth more than reality. Wish i could find some to try... Just to say i have.

How hard (and/or expensive) is it to make?

#14 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

It is one of the easiest brews/wines to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to finish. It will take about a 6 months to a year to reach its full flavor profile and I have heard it can even taste better after two years. So the waiting game is the hard part. This is the version I went with. In a carboy I added 10 pounds of honey and 4 gallons of water. Mix very well and then take a gravity reading. This will help with knowing what the end alcohol level is. They sell hydrometers to do this at your local brew shop. They are popping up everywhere so I am sure you have one close by. Next you add the yeast. I went with a lalven 1118 which is a Champaign yeast. This is going to produce a very dry mead. Depending on the type of yeast will depend on where on the sweet to dry scale it will be. The next thing is to plug the carboy with a bung that has an airlock inserted into it. Then put it into a dark closet that stays around room temp. Let it sit there checking on it every few days to make sure the airlock hasn't dried out and that it is still gasing off. After about two months it is ready to transfer into another container. This way you remove it from the bulk of the yeast. You can either at this point bottle it or do what I will be doing. I will be keeping about 1.5gallons as the standard mead. Then I will be taking two of the gallons and adding berries to them. Then sit them back in the closet for the remainder of the yeast to do its work on them for about another month before bottling. This is now called a Melomel. I just started two batches of hard apple cider today. I decided to do this because it is just as easy but its ready after two months hehe. As far as cost I now have about $100 in equipment and maybe $50 into ingredients. But I have 5 gallons of Mead going and 4 gallons of cider going. The guy at the brew shop really talked me into the glass carboy for the mead but for the cider I went with plastic buckets. They are much easier to mix and such. He said the only down side is they don't last as long. I think for the price of them compaired to the carboys I will be using them for now on.

#15 ray126

ray126
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Bigdadyrods @ Jun 15 2013, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ray126 @ Jun 13 2013, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, that's it, no more spending time with uncle Ed. He's wearing off on you. We had such high hopes but that's fading fast.....Soon you'll be talking about Boones farm.....

Randy

OK, I didn,t know what got in to me.Boones farm,nah I'm a top shelf kind of guy MD and thunderbird

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users