Photo

Reel recomendations

11 replies to this topic

#1 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm looking for input on a reel for a 9' 6wt St. Croix Elite fly rod. Right now I'm considering the Galvan Torque 5 or 6 or perhaps a Nautilus FWX 5/6. Anyone here have experience with these reels. Should I consider one over the other? Another reel perhaps?

Thanks.
For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

#2 Perry B

Perry B
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

My dad has the galvan torque. On top of it being butt ugly (my opnion) the drag adjustment screw has fallen off twice. After the first time it fell off the reel was sent back to galvan for repairs. After receiving it from the company the drag adjustment screw fell off a fishing trip later.

#3 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

http://www.rodbuildi...?...09&hl=reels

Here ya go. Check them out. But better yet, ask all of the guys on the site if they got screws falling off, drag not working etc.

#4 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Bigdadyrods @ Mar 13 2012, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.rodbuildi...?...09&hl=reels

Here ya go. Check them out. But better yet, ask all of the guys on the site if they got screws falling off, drag not working etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. So is the capacity greater on the Pine 5/6 vs the Delaware 5/6?
For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

#5 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Give or take a few yards, about the same. Looking for more backing on the spool, go with the new Kettle. Not as well polished and bright as the other two but holds over 165 yards of 20lb dacron when using 6wt line. Cheaper in price too.

Randy

As a side note, the Pine is sold out, the Delaware is only available in 5/6 (black) but we are waiting for a shipment within 2 weeks. The Kettle is in stock in silver and sells for $80.

#6 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Bigdadyrods @ Mar 15 2012, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give or take a few yards, about the same. Looking for more backing on the spool, go with the new Kettle. Not as well polished and bright as the other two but holds over 165 yards of 20lb dacron when using 6wt line. Cheaper in price too.

Randy

As a side note, the Pine is sold out, the Delaware is only available in 5/6 (black) but we are waiting for a shipment within 2 weeks. The Kettle is in stock in silver and sells for $80.

Thanks

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Randys reels are super nice for sure give them a look.

But I can't help but reply to the comment about the Galvan Torque though. I owned a Galvan Torque T8 for about 2-3 years and used it all the time for Steelhead, Salmon, Pike and Bass as well as surf fishing the shores of the Great Lakes. And IMO it was by far the best reel I have ever owned (and that's A LOT of reels laugh.gif trust me). Never had any screws fall off or even the slightest problem with the reel ever. Extremely well made piece of equipment. I had to sell it back in December to afford to get gifts for my family, but I wish I had it back it was a great reel!

Steve

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#8 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Mar 15 2012, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Randys reels are super nice for sure give them a look.

But I can't help but reply to the comment about the Galvan Torque though. I owned a Galvan Torque T8 for about 2-3 years and used it all the time for Steelhead, Salmon, Pike and Bass as well as surf fishing the shores of the Great Lakes. And IMO it was by far the best reel I have ever owned (and that's A LOT of reels laugh.gif trust me). Never had any screws fall off or even the slightest problem with the reel ever. Extremely well made piece of equipment. I had to sell it back in December to afford to get gifts for my family, but I wish I had it back it was a great reel!

Steve

Thanks for sharing that Steve - it does say a lot about the reel and you! thumbsup.gif

#9 wyofish27

wyofish27
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Im waiting on my first reel from Randy, just purchased yesterday, im getting it for a 7wt rod im building for a few trophy runs near where i am at. I would be happy to share my finding once it gets here. I am positive i am not going to be anything but pleased with this reel!

#10 2 X

2 X

Recovering streamer addict

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have never owned a Galvan so I can't comment there. But as far as Randy's reels go, for the price and the quality, all I can say is go for it!

Randy,

Received the reels. thumbsup.gif They are all in use and the guys are talking very highly of them. I am thinking the Pine Creek 3/4 will be next on my list!

I am hoping to get a trip in over on the Big Hole to try out the Delaware 9/10 doing a little streamer fishing before using it in the salt in a couple of weeks.

Jeff
If it ain't working, add more weight.

#11 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Thanks guys

Wyofish--I mailed out your reel yesterday so you should have it within a few days. Watch for the postman!!!

Jeff---Hope the reels work out good for the guys. To let everyone know, I had a heck of a time getting some reels in lately. Jeff paid me for the reels and then we waited..and waited some more. Just ask Jeff and he'll tell you that I offer a no nonsence guarantee. I offered to send the money back til the reels came in or to cancel the order. I will work with you on every aspect. Jeff held out and got his order.
I want to keep everyone happy with my reels. If they don't work, call me and I'll replace or repair that reel at no cost to you.

My thoughts this year was to introduce a new reel but I may hold off on that. My Pine Creek reel seems to be--hands down---the best reel for the money. My goal is to sell a good, well made,quality metal reel for $100. My Pine does just that. We made a few changes with the reel but it works great. I have yet to have one come back with a failure and I've sold a large number of reels to guys right here on this site. They all can't be wrong!!!

Randy

#12 wyofish27

wyofish27
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Bigdadyrods @ May 1 2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys

Wyofish--I mailed out your reel yesterday so you should have it within a few days. Watch for the postman!!!

Jeff---Hope the reels work out good for the guys. To let everyone know, I had a heck of a time getting some reels in lately. Jeff paid me for the reels and then we waited..and waited some more. Just ask Jeff and he'll tell you that I offer a no nonsence guarantee. I offered to send the money back til the reels came in or to cancel the order. I will work with you on every aspect. Jeff held out and got his order.
I want to keep everyone happy with my reels. If they don't work, call me and I'll replace or repair that reel at no cost to you.

My thoughts this year was to introduce a new reel but I may hold off on that. My Pine Creek reel seems to be--hands down---the best reel for the money. My goal is to sell a good, well made,quality metal reel for $100. My Pine does just that. We made a few changes with the reel but it works great. I have yet to have one come back with a failure and I've sold a large number of reels to guys right here on this site. They all can't be wrong!!!

Randy

Received my Pine 7wt last week from Randy. This thing is smooth and so freaking light. The weight kinda threw me off. Im so used to my "heavy" reels I was excited to get something this well made that is so light. The drag is very consistent. There are no heavy spots. I will be taking it out this weekend to hit a few trophy trout areas close to here. I will post a more comprehensive review then . So far best purchase Ive made all year. thumbup.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users