New Guide Spacing/Sizing program

135 replies to this topic

#31 chucky

chucky

HereFishyFishyFishy

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

Cool. Maybe I'll look again for it over the weekend. BTW, great program Carl. thumbsup.gif Really gives us first timers a leg up on putting the guides in reasonable locations.

Thanks,
Chucky

#32 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:49 PM

I may have found a "bug" for you Chris:

When I print the output for 10 guides (with the taming guide) just like the screenshot I posted earlier in this thread, the last guide (#10 @ 80 1/2") is truncated... The 'table' stops at 9 guides.

So, what do you pay your beta testers? tongue.gif

Cheers!

Gary

Orvis ROCKS!

#33 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:00 PM

Well, I would've sent you huge amounts of cash and a couple of cane rods, but I had already found and fixed that glitch (and one other I'm not going to mention). rolleyes.gif I haven't been able to upload the file yet as our server is still down.

The new version will be at the same URL whenever it gets back on line.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#34 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Carl @ Mar 25 2005, 08:00 PM)
Well, I would've sent you huge amounts of cash and a couple of cane rods, but I had already found and fixed that glitch (and one other I'm not going to mention).

... and I thought I was SO clever! mad.gif

No worries here about the new version: I added the 10th guide with a pencil and am off to place some guides as we speak.

Thanks again for this great li'l program!

Cheers!

Gary

Orvis ROCKS!

#35 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:34 PM

OK guys. The server is back online and the newest version is uploaded. Enjoy!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#36 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

Chris,

You da man!

Here's my static test with the single-foot guides (1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3) and strippers (10 12) placed exactly where your program suggests....

user posted image

I think it's looking pretty good, Sir!

I will probably move the strippers just a bit, as the #12 is pretty close to the ferrule and if I move it just a tad closer to the butt section I can incorporate it in the ferrule wrap... If I don't do that, there will be a whole bunch of thread with a very small gap down there.

Thanks again!

Gary

Orvis ROCKS!

#37 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:49 PM

Glad it worked for you Gary! thumbup.gif

Guide spacing is a pretty subjective thing, but I think what you have on that rod looks just right.

Credit for the spacing part of the program should really go to Shadownix. I basically stole the numbers from his spreadsheet and just fancied things up a bit. thumbsup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#38 Toneloc

Toneloc
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:49 PM

Sweet Program Carl. Somehow I missed this thread till today. I'm sure it will come in useful.

Tony

#39 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Tony! smile.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#40 chucky

chucky

HereFishyFishyFishy

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Carl and Shadownix!! The guide placements really worked great for me. The only one I'm adjusting is guide #3 by about a 1/2" downhill, and that's really only for asthetics when I'm looking at the rod on the bench. It just looked a little too bunched up with guide #2. The bend and cast test were great. It did make a difference if I just held the line and flexed than if I tied the line to an object and flexed the rod.

Thanks for everyone's help!

#41 ShadowNix

ShadowNix
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

Hehehh cool...same idea as my program (which is also calculation/algorithym)... nicer package though! Good job.

'Nix

#42 ollifl

ollifl
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

schweeeeet program, thanks, now, is there a similar progie for all the other rods we are making, i.e. surf casting, saltwater boat etc...., just kidding thank you very much. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

#43 Alex C.

Alex C.

"I'm a T-shirt & jeans kind of elitist snob"

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

a couple questions

I put my length in, I put its a 4 wt, now when I put the number of guides in do I not include the tip-top? Also, I have a 2nd stripping guide(I think its called a taming guide?), when I click that box it adds a guide to the calculation.

So if I don't include the tip-top, should I put 9 guides, and then click the taming guide box for the 10th?

Also, do I always want my first guide 4.5" from the tip, and do I always want the stripper at 30"

#44 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

do I not include the tip-top?

Do not include the tip top.

Also, I have a 2nd stripping guide(I think its called a taming guide?), when I click that box it adds a guide to the calculation.

So if I don't include the tip-top, should I put 9 guides, and then click the taming guide box for the 10th?

If you have 8 regular snake guides, 2 stripping guides and a tip top you'd put in 9 guides and then check the Taming Guide box which would add the 2nd stripper.

Also, do I always want my first guide 4.5" from the tip, and do I always want the stripper at 30"

Nope, but it is a good place to start, and a pretty good all around spacing. I usually move my stripper around depending on the rod (usually towards the grip an inch or two) and move the tip guide (not tip top) closer or farther depending on the total number of guides, rod size, etc.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#45 Alex C.

Alex C.

"I'm a T-shirt & jeans kind of elitist snob"

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

when I do it the way you said, when I press calculate it automatically calculates for 11 guides dunno.gif

Whats double foot or single foot?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users