Photo

Cork Grip Clamp

20 replies to this topic

#16 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

SD, I checked the calendar.  Didn't realize this was Pick On Ron Day.  He's not wrong, just old. :ph34r:

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

I only pick on Ron on days ending with a Y.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#18 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

I use the same setup, I think a lot of us do.  Simple and it works.  I cut a notch in the bottom piece so I can load up the mandrel then just slip the top in the hole and drop the bottom in and tighten.  Just works a little easier.

Mike

#19 jumper

jumper
  • Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

I have both but prefer the one Jeff posted, but I leave the mandrel in.

#20 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pen making and of course fly fishing

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

This is how I do it.

I use the wooden jig with threaded rod. Spray a shot of WD40, no problems.

Also you could get a pen mandrel or make a large one so you can clamp up and turn/sand the cork without removing it from the jig/mandrel.

OR

Make one.., but a steel rod say 9-12 inches and with (whatever diam suits your cork hole).

Buy an appropiate die and threaded wing/nut to match match. Make the thread an inch long on one end. Turn some little spacers from delrin whatever lengths you want.

Drill a tiny hole on the threaded end with a stub drill for your revolving dead centre.
(Only have it 1 inch protuding out of your lathe chuck so it centres spot on).

This way theres no thread in the middle to cause problems. IT WORKS IKNOW, I HAVE ONE.

Cost. If you beg borrow the dies less than £5.

You could even make several for different rod bores.

Simple but very rewarding.

Hooe this helps. Any probs contact me and I will help.

Regards to all.

Chris from Yorkshire U.K.

#21 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

I would think that WD-40 on the threaded rod would get in the cork and keep the glue on the blank from sticking to the cork.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users