correct me if I wrong - fly to spin

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Adam Obiegalko_*

Guest_Adam Obiegalko_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I was asked by friend of mine for building a bamboo spin rod. The rod is supposed to be fast action and changing to a kind of parabolic under a good, fat fish. Beside, 7'6'' long and should cast lures upto 3/4 oz.

There is not to many tapers for spin rod available, so I consider building it on a fly blank.

After my research I have choosen (and fix a bit by hexrod) those tapers:

So I have come to my question to you mates,
Will it kind of rod I desribe above?
Have you got any alternative idea for such blank?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

#2 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Hey Adam,

I never made a bamboo spinning rod, have only assembled a few graphite rods.. I think that for casting lures weighting 3/4oz the taper you suggested is to light! As I said I have no experience with bamboo/spin, so my opinion is not to be taken as a "saint"..! But in the book written by a German rodmaker Rolf Baginski there are three spin tapers, 6'6'', 7'6'' and 8', shorter rods for casting 0.2 to 0.6oz lure and the eight footer 0.4 to 0.6oz. All three have tips bigger than your taper, on the 8' is 0.130... I think you have to "hexrod" the taper modifying the line weight to a heavier, maybe to #10 or #12. And the line fished to 70'.. The resultant taper should be over 0.13'' at the tip, 0.270 / 0.300'' in the middle and 0.350 / 0.400 under the grip...

r wink.gif

#3 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

A good "Rule of Thumb" but by no means hard and fast, is to break down the desired lure weight to 16ths. The number of 16ths is roughly equivalent to the line number on a fly blank. 3/4 oz = 12/16 = #12 line blank.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

I built a bamboo rod for a customer who fishes for smallmouth bass. He casts small plastic worms ona Sage Bass Series. The one I found (through OSD) was the Steelhead Special, 8 ft., 8 wt., two piece.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

The rod taper you shown will not handle 3/4 OZ lures
This blank would not be strong enought for that type of stress.

IMHO
Bob

#6 GregK

GregK
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

You may also want to take a look at the George Herter tapers. The taper archive on bamboorodmaking.com has scans of his tapers. There are several spin rod tapers listed there. That is where I got the taper for the bass rod I am building.

Greg

#7 Guest_Adam Obiegalko_*

Guest_Adam Obiegalko_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

thanks you all for help.
I have increased rod dim to about aftm 9 and dont want to move higher, however kevin's math seems reasonable. It is supposed to be a trout rod, so I dont want my friend fish for trout with salmon tapers.

rsa could you please to post those Baginski tapers?

#8 Guest_Adam Obiegalko_*

Guest_Adam Obiegalko_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hi again,

I have been working with the project last couple of days. Having in mind yours advises I decided to move my dim target down, I mean, a power of this blank to about 9wt.

So after hours in front of hexrod I have come to such solution: 7'6'' long, fast action and:

My confusion is whether this blank is strong enough for 9 weight?

Please feel free to express an opinion.

Thanks,

Adam

#9 Mxt

Mxt
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Adam Obiegalko @ Nov 22 2011, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi again,

I have been working with the project last couple of days. Having in mind yours advises I decided to move my dim target down, I mean, a power of this blank to about 9wt.

So after hours in front of hexrod I have come to such solution: 7'6'' long, fast action and:

My confusion is whether this blank is strong enough for 9 weight?

Please feel free to express an opinion.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam

Did you ever build this taper?

#10 Galt

Galt
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Adam,

In my opinion, your newest taper will be quite strong. The action should be fairly quick at the tip and then get progressively stiffer as you approach the butt. I would not say, however, that the will exhibit much of a parabolic characteristic under load. Overall, it appears to be a rather heavy rod that should feel quite stiff. If you wanted a bit more parabolic character, you could remove some material between 55 and 75 inches. It might help to know what size fish you anticipate.

Galt

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users