Photo

Rod for my Granddaughter

3 replies to this topic

#1 plumbob

plumbob
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Well I finally got it finished. Built a rod for my granddaughter, seems like yesterday that I made one for my daughter. Granddaughter is going to be a year old next month, may seem that i'm jumping the gun a bit but who can tell what the future holds so I figured I better do it now instead of waiting and not being able to do it later. For the hard core fly fishers it may have to much bling but for a young girl its just right. The blank is a 9' 5wt from Elkhorn. The feather inlay is jungle cock and grey peacock-pheasant. I used some old Mustad 277 size 32 hooks for alignment marks for the sections. The butt I made a piece to hold the cork rings and inlay a dime from the year she was born. All in all its a one of a kind rod that I hope she can appreciate later on, and know the love that I put into it for her.

DSC_0271_zpshdft5011.jpg

DSC_0265_zpselujl6rk.jpg

DSC_0263_zpst3yfhlkp.jpg

DSC_0261_zpsvsdnmmnl.jpg

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

Nice work plumbob. It's been years since I have built on an Elkhorn blank I didn't know they were still around, they had some nice blanks with some great color availability I do remember that.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#3 chuckster

chuckster
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

Great job!

#4 plumbob

plumbob
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

Nice work plumbob. It's been years since I have built on an Elkhorn blank I didn't know they were still around, they had some nice blanks with some great color availability I do remember that.

I had built a rod for my daughter using an Elkhorn blank and really liked it. Like you said they kind of vanished, had looked around to try to find the color I wanted but wasn't happy with any so I tracked down Elkhorn, they showed completed rods but no blanks so I called them up to see if they had any old inventory. They said they had the 5 weight in purple and a 5 piece 3wt, so I got them both since I generally use a 3wt and wanted something that packed a little smaller.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users