Photo

nontraditional rod building materials

2 replies to this topic

#1 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

So ever since i started building rods it seems like as i get better I run into barriers. For example the eva foam grips at mudhole only had four colors so i started shaping my own. Reel seats were plain or expensive so I started dipping them.well long story short...er if any of yall have some materials or methods you use that arent found in rod building stores or labeled as rod building materials i would be very interested in learning what other materials yall have found and used. Also which ones dont work. Branching out doesnt always work out as planned so learning what doesnt work could save myself and any other readers some headache. Thanks

#2 dwwscran

dwwscran
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

I've used the chrome foil modelers use as an under wrap.  looked great under pink and white threads on a slate blank.  after 5 years its still holding up.  (built for a friends wife)

#3 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

I've turned some grips out of cottonwood bark.  First by cutting rings and gluing up like cork.  It looks fantastic, but the bark I have tends to break at one of the laminations when it's just dropped, so I've never felt it would be safe to put on a rod to be flexed.  Second trial was by turning a length as if it was a piece of wood.  Didn't like the look nearly as well and haven't considered making any more.  I've also turned grips out of yoga cork blocks.  It's pretty easy to work, but the grip is heavier than regular cork rings, doesn't have the sensuous surface or the firm compressibily, and looked like a manufactured product. It might be good for accents or trim rings, but as a whole grip, didn't work out for me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users