decals blank straight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'm sure that this has been addressed in the past but I'm just too lazy to do a search.  I did look at a couple of threads but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Got a spinning rod on the dryer that is a door prize for our annual Hunter Education Instructor workshop.  I put the decal on very carefully and rolled it down.  Went real smooth but........noticed that is about 1/8 inch off center.  It's actually straight.  Looks fair but not to me.  I guess I'm particular about my work.

What technique do you other builders use to make sure the decal or label is straight and centered on the blank?  Thanks.  Got three other rods to do in the near future.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#2 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

Straight isn't as much an issue on a long decal.  It just seems to go on straight if you line it up with the blank.

I avoid putting things right on top of the rod or on the bottom, so "off center" as far as rotation doesn't mean as much.  If you mean centering between two trim wraps, I don't have any suggestions.

#3 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:40 AM

I have two 4 foot fluorescent lights directly above my wrapper, they leave a white line running right down the blanks center line I can use as a reference for many things including decal installation.

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:06 AM

Centering between wraps is a piece of cake but centering in the blank where the label or decal sits equally yon both sides.  If you look at the rod with the guides down at the 6 o'clock position, the decal is about 1/8" off center.   I know, I might be toooooo picky but I'm somewhat a perfectionist when it comes to things like this.  When I look at rods in stores, I really pick them apart from tip to butt.

Thanks for the replies.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Just a thought, could you use china marker to put a dot on the blank near (not under) where the blank will be placed and then wipe it off before finishing?

As I said, I try not to force myself to line things up like that if I can avoid it.  

#6 xpman

xpman
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Fly shop, Fly tying, rod building

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

I found that if I put the reel on the rod and put it in a cradle I can put the decal on properly.

ron

#7 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

John,

From someone that makes the frazzlin' things here is what I have migrated to for many years. It is bits & pieces from some of the previous posts in this thread.

From many years ago when I was shooting bench rest rifles, I pilfered the sandbag that was made with a cradle that held the bottom of the rifle stock and there is where I place the butt of the rod and the other end in the rollers I use. I also am working under an 8 foot light bank of the "environmentally safe pigtail flourescents" that cast a perfect straight line down anything that is round under it. Then I eyeball it.....the sandbag keeps the rod from turning.

On the decals I supply, you can also scribe a straight line down the top of the transfer film with a fine point permanent marker to act as a guide line to place directly over the reflection line.....it's a bit tricky as you will partially block the "light guide line" as you align the marker guide line....but at least you will be able to see if any thing moves.

However, first and foremost......make sure the rod is in the correct orientation BEFORE you start aligning the guide lines to apply the decal. because if it isn't, the decal will be perfectly aligned to the rod blank......just off center.....trust me...been there!!!!

Thanks for reading this.  It may help a wee bit.

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

#8 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

I secure the rod on the V-shaped uprights that I use for drying.  I use cloth ties that are sewn in a loop and a rubber band through each end, secured to a push pin on each side of the upright.

I like Charlie's idea of the line on the transfer film.  The manufacturer's decal went on perfectly aligned.

John T.

#9 rodjunky

rodjunky
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:47 PM

Use transfer tape with built in grid lines.  Proble solved.

#10 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

rodjunky, thanks.  Will do some practicing with decals to find a way.

John T.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: decals, blank, straight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users