Photo

Home Made Rod Carrier

6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Bamboo Fly Rod Making, Fly Rod Building, Fly Tying, Mountain Biking, Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Weight Lifting, Woodworking

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I just finished this project to ease the transport of fly rods between fishing spots.  It holds 6 fly rods up to 9.5 feet long with reels attached.  I wanted it to look like the fly rod cases I make.  I put one of my cases in the second picture for comparison.  4 months of work...glad it's done!

IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG

#2 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Took long enough to get here on the site.

That is outstanding and the only thing that comes to mind is a year or three ago, someone made one to look like a heat seeking missile

What's that red tuna can in the center bottom picture?

Is it detachable for the nights you spend in those sleazy hotels, where someone without a moral compass, might want such a desirable item?

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#3 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Bamboo Fly Rod Making, Fly Rod Building, Fly Tying, Mountain Biking, Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Weight Lifting, Woodworking

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Well, it is locked to the vehicle.

Tuna can?  I'll have you know that's a vintage, American made Martin automatic fly reel in perfect condition.  Great for stream fishing.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,491 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

Oh my God! LOL. First off that is friggin awesome Chris I love it. My only concern would be that it is so nice someone would go to great lengths to tryin steal that puppy. Beautiful job bud :)

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#5 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

Oh my God! LOL. First off that is friggin awesome Chris I love it. My only concern would be that it is so nice someone would go to great lengths to tryin steal that puppy. Beautiful job bud :)IMG_1312.jpg

Thanks Steve.  I used some Yakima locks on four of the attachment bolts, so any real attempt to take it would likely destroy it.  No guarantees though of course.

#6 typhoon

typhoon
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

Wow, that is amazing! Are those PVC tubes inside foam?

#7 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Wow, that is amazing! Are those PVC tubes inside foam?

Thanks!  The PCV tubes are mounted in three plywood brackets, evenly spaced and each is lined with a cotton cloth.  The foam is just near the front to hold the reels.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users