Photo

Drying motor speed

8 replies to this topic

#1 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

I've been reading a bunch of back posts on random topics and came across a couple of things that I might be confused about. Do some people use a faster motor to apply the epoxy and then a slower one for the actual drying? I use my 18 rpm for epoxy applying and drying. But I also have a 6 rpm one that I don't really use but wondering if slower is better for drying? 

#2 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

For drying, it really doesn't matter.  I find the 18rpm is easier for applying epoxy, but I used a 6rpm for a couple of years before I broke down and purchased the 18.  Applying epoxy at 6rpm requires a steady hand and a lot of patience.   Ten seconds is a long time to wait!

If you are working on a couple of rods, I'd use the 6 for drying, and the 18 for applying finish.

#3 ANR

ANR
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:58 AM

For drying I find slower is better.
For applying it's personnal preference (I like 30/100rpm but with a slip clutch or sometime by hands).

#4 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

Cool, thanks for the responses. My first few I built I did on the 6 rpm, couldn't stand it either, it was so slow! So I went up to the 18 and found it a better speed for me. 

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

6 rpm is real slow for applying epoxy.  I did this when I first started and found that the epoxy started to set up before I got a long rod finished.  Multiple piece rods were done in sections with different batches of epoxy.   I have an 8 rpm motor for applying and a 4 rpm microwave motor for drying.  Hmmm..a rhyme here- applying and drying. B)  Such talent!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#6 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

""speed "" it  depends on what you like , but as a rule apply at a faster speed an change over to the slower speed to dry ,less foot balls on the guides I think, by drying at a slower speed,

just how I think an it works for me ,  I use 60 RPM to apply an 6 RPM to dry   

#7 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Footballs are caused by too much epoxy, not speed.  My dryers are 6 and 8 RPM, and I apply at 200 RPM

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#8 Tomah

Tomah
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:50 PM

Footballs are caused by too much epoxy, not speed.  My dryers are 6 and 8 RPM, and I apply at 200 RPM

That's how you can get nice, clean edges on the finish. I have a most unsteady hand, and can really get the shakes with a light-weight brush and the urgency of epoxy operations. My 11 rpm dryer makes it tough for me.

#9 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Use a piece of wood or hard foam rubber as a hand rest.  Helps keep the edges clean and consistent.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users