Photo

Carbon Fiber Handles

6 replies to this topic

#1 Whaler17

Whaler17
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Making Fishing Tackle,Woodworking,RC,Guitar.

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hello all,
Building a couple of Spinning rods with Carbon fiber split grips. I bought the Carbon fiber grips from Mudhole ( model CFR2,3).Has anyone used them, and did you epoxy them or leave them textured? What did you use?I think they would look better if epoxied, but am not sure I am up to the task, and not sure what to use. Pro Kote, Flex Coat, etc....
Thank you
Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

The desired finish is strictly up to the builders personal preference. Some will use Permagloss, some Lumiseal, while others will use the epoxy finish of their choice. Others may just opt to go with the textured finish. Entirely your decision

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 Whaler17

Whaler17
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Thanks,
I think I will epoxy the ends, and winding checks and see how it looks. I think if I want to cover the grips I may want to do that before installing them on the rod. Looks like Lumiseal is the preferred product, any idea how many coats it would take to finish handles? They would look really good finished seems it may take many coats to get them smooth.

#4 shortstack

shortstack
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:20 AM

You won't smooth those grips with LS, it will take epoxy and some sanding.  After epoxy, you can top coat with LS or Permagloss.

Do a search on this forum and others, and you will find a wealth of info on CF grips.

#5 Whaler17

Whaler17
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

Thanks ShortStack

#6 lymanx

lymanx
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Those using Lumiseal or Permagloss would do well by looking into Bullard's CPXtra.

#7 baitwaister

baitwaister
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Is Bullard's still around? Both Permagloss and Lumiseal are urethane based finishes. Just finished google searching it. Seems Voodoo Rods purchased the rights and products and Cpxtra is also a urethane finish. Hopefully they have a better business model than the previous owners.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users