Photo

Question from a newbie

18 replies to this topic

#1 indabacking

indabacking
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hey guys, newcomer here as I have just started building some rods this spring.  I am currently working on a Coast Guard themed rod for a cousin who is coming home from overseas and had a Coast Guard decal made for the rod.  Long story short, I screwed up the decal through the finishing process and now I would like to replace it if possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the finish that I put over the decal and then replacing the decal?  I'm thinking just use some heat to remove the finish, peel decal off, clean the blank and re-apply.  I'm just checking some resources due to the fact that this rod did turn out really nice other than this one problem and I would rather leave it as is, rather than mess it up worse, so I need some voices of experience.  Thanks guys for all the info you have provided already.

#2 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Heat will soften the finish and make it easier to remove the finish. Use something like an old credit card to remove the finish. That will help keep from marring the rod blank.

But first, is the decal messed up?? Or just the finish over the decal?

If the decal is good and just the finish is messed up, you can file and sand down the finish over the decal and then apply another coat of finish. Just be careful not to damage the blank or the decal while filing and sanding.

If the decal is messed up, use some heat and remove the whole thing and start over. Take your time. Just use enough heat to soften the finish and not damage the blank.

#3 indabacking

indabacking
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

The decal is messed up.  I grew up in a family cabinet shop and have been woodworking for 40+ years now and I guess I still don't know when to quit sanding.  I had some humps in the finish and was trying to sand them out, not realizing that there was a low spot over the decal.  Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

That's a bummer.

Just use heat....and again, take your time and go slow.

While applying the heat, keep poking around on the finish and you will see when it is soft enough to work with.

When you get things scraped off as well as you can, use some alcohol to help clean things up.

Don't use acetone, the blank's finish may not like acetone.

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

What BG said.  I use 91% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or denatured alcohol.  Good luck and work slooooowly. 

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

One must keep in mind also, even though a lot of us use DNA it is still a petroleum based product, and can cause a repelling effect to your finish. Even after wiping down with it, I still use a mild dish detergent to further wipe any areas down.  

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#7 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

Ron, that's interesting about the alcohol. I've read that somewhere else too.

So far I have never had any ill effects from wiping down with alcohol.

I think that may have to do with how pure (%) is being used.

I think that all of the alcohol may evaporate, but whatever else is in there that stays behind could be the culprit.

#8 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Never had any problems myself, but started doing it after several people attributed the problem to it, so I just play it safe now. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#9 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Never had a problem with DNA..........so far.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#10 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

http://www.differenc...atured-alcohol/

You can see the uses of ethanol, especially at Happy Hour.  Plus it goes into gasoline for your car; comes from corn.  I would question the source of the additives mixed with the ethanol to make it undrinkable.  I don't think they necessarily come from petroleum.  I'll list them and ask a friend who is a chemical engineer.  Or you can look them up to see the primary source.

John T.

#11 indabacking

indabacking
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Thanks guys, I was able to get the decal off and replaced. First coat of re-finish is drying now. Another quick question, I had some bad looking guide wraps that I peeled off, can these be re-finished as they are (there are a bunch of frayed strings it appears everywhere) or should I just cut it off and re-wrap? I know I can re-wrap, but I'm trying to learn as many of these repair tricks as I can as I go.

#12 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

If the threads are frayed, I would just re wrap them

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#13 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

Hey Guys,

This thread may be headed in a different direction but I am on the verge of learning something here and don't want to turn it loose.  Many years ago as I was looking for "chemistry" to degrease items, I was told that any solvent that does not have the words "petroleum distillates" in the chemical make-up would be OK to use as a cleaner/degreaser.

Well I never would have thought that DNA would contain any of those nasties so I just never read the label for it's chemical make-up.  I knew it had been modified to make it un-drinkable but I never questioned myself enough to check the label.  Well I just did some searching through GOOGLE and found on a Model Railroader forum what I feared the most....Two posters on the RR board stated that DNA could very likely contain petroleum distillates....well I never.!!!  And it leaves everything so squeaky clean....go figure!

I will check when I get back in the shop tomorrow.

Charlie...........

PS: Use a new single edge razor blade to remove fussies and other nasties from the finish - need the hands of a surgeon.....!!

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

#14 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

FYI....

A vast majority of denatured alcohol is rendered undrinkable by adding methanol, an alcohol derived from cellulose fiber....hence its other name, "methylated spirits."

#15 jdsmitty22

jdsmitty22
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

I have used dna and never had a problem but am going to try your suggestions thank you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users